Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Are they too thin?!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My one guinea pig, Nala is 810 grams. Pumpkin is 720 grams. Are they fine weight wise or should they gain weight?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How old are they?

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
GL lists normal weight as "700-900 grams for females" so I doubt that yours are severely underweight.

Although, a lot depends on bone structure and the like - some piggies are 'big-boned' and can weigh more. My piggies are rather small built and tend to weigh just around the lower limit no matter how much I try to fatten them up.

Yours seem to be well within the recommended weight restrictions so I wouldn't worry.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
GL lists normal weight as "700-900 grams for females" so I doubt that yours are severely underweight.

GL also says those values are from books and actual weights tend to be higher for pet guinea pigs. If they are young and still growing, those are good numbers. My four month old girls weigh about 800 each.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
They are 2 i think. they were rescues and they weren't for sure of the ages.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
GL also says those values are from books and actual weights tend to be higher for pet guinea pigs. If they are young and still growing, those are good numbers. My four month old girls weigh about 800 each.

There have been a few threads in the past with pigs having weight lower than even the recommended on GL despite being fed well -
[h=1]Skinny pig and fat pig?[/h]
As long as they aren't really skinny I think it just varies from pig to pig. I was paranoid about mine not gaining but I stuck to a good diet, etc. and their weights more or less stabilized somewhere lower in the range - I guess I just have smaller pigs.

It's fluctuation between weekly weights that usually indicates trouble.

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
It isn't really possible to tell whether a pig is too fat/thin without being there and feeling and monitoring it as all pigs are different. My tiny female (first thought to be male!) is only a little over 550g but she has a lovely pudgy belly and her spine and ribs have a decent covering of chub. :)

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
only a little over 550g but she has a lovely pudgy belly and her spine and ribs have a decent covering of chub.

Exactly what I meant by 'not skinny'! Thank you for putting it in words, haha. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.