Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello: new member with question about sex of guinea pig

Phee Nicks

Cavy Slave
Hi there everyone.
I really hope someone can help me...I've studied photos of guinea pigs genitals until I can't see straight anymore!
My children were bought 3 'male' guinea pigs in August from a pet store. We were told they were all males. Everyone got along all nice and happy. My children then bought me a guinea pig from the same store, another male. All living happily in a 6 x 2 C & C cage...until yesterday.
My daughter's guinea pig (Fang) was shooed away from the food, hay & water by the other 3. One of them was parading up and down, rumbling and strutting, doing this funny little dance (rocking from side to side, waggling his bottom about) then he & the others were all mounting the other one (which I know they do to show dominance) but this time Fang was squealing, not happy and trying his/her best to get the heck away from the others. I kept an eye on them and separated them into 2 lots of 2, the gentler of the boars and Fang in a 3 x 2 cage and the other 2 bullies lol in a 3 x 2.
Fang lay in a pile of hay, refusing her veggies, refusing food, just feeling sorry for him/herself.

We've recently moved them inside, they were in the garage until about 3 weeks ago and I've never seen this behaviour before. I've just cleaned them out, putting them all together again, and the same thing is happening, all of them trying to mount Fang. The 3 boys were fighting last night, which they've also never done before. One cage is on top of the other, which Fang in the cage underneath.

I am now really unsure if Fang is a boy as we were told! S/he doesn't appear to have the big donut around the genitals as the others do. I have tried and tried to make penises pop out on all of them, with no luck.
I'm hoping someone can have a look at the photo and tell me what you think s/he is. I'd really appreciate it :) Hello: new member with question about sex of guinea pigHello: new member with question about sex of guinea pig

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One way to tell is to look at the little nub between the arms of the Y. If there's an opening in it (the end of the urethra), it's a male.

I'd separate Fang from ALL the boys until you're sure. If she's a girl, she can get just as pregnant from the gentle male as she can from the two rowdy ones.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Another way is to feel for a penis bone. Just above the genital area boys have a bone that points towards their head. You should be able to feel it with the 'for certain' boys so you know what it feels like and then check Fang.

I only ever tried this once when I had an accidental litter and had to make sure to seperate any and all boys at three weeks of age. I had never felt the bone before, but there was no mistaking it once I felt for it.

Phee Nicks

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I'll go and have a further look/feel now :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.