Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming I'm taking in 2 Guinea Pigs on Friday

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Whoa. Uhoh. I see something REALLY important you should know!

A male and a female, living together? That's not good. (unless, of course, he's neutered or she's spayed, then you're okay) You know where babies come from, right? Get ready. Odds are, your female will already be pregnant. Start preparing by researching how to care for a pregnant momma pig (I don't have experience in that, but many other people here do) and prepare a separate living space for boys and girls. When the babies are born, the boys can live with daddy and the girls can live with mommy.

I know it sounds sweet, a guinea pig married couple living together, mates and all that...but guinea pigs aren't like people. They can't plan a reasonably sized family. They will breed and breed and breed. Plus, pregnancy is very tough on a sow's body. Even if you do EVERYTHING right, there's always a chance that a pregnancy could kill your girl. And I know you don't want that.

You're doing everything right so far, and I'm not telling you not to take those pigs. In fact, you should adopt them. You sound like you really care and want to be a responsible owner. Just make sure you're prepared to take care of a male and female responsibly; by keeping them from making a bunch of babies (ANY babies, if she's not already pregnant!), and by being ready to take care of any babies mom might be carrying already.

Last edited:
Is either of them neutered/spayed? If not, you will need to keep them separated.

Not having babies is the past doesn't mean much. We had a pair of pigs come into the rescue that had been together for 4 months and according to the owner no babies. She had become pregnant just days before she came to us and had 3 healthy babies.

Also they could just being lying to you.

Maybe they are both males, or both females?

I think you are doing wonderful!

@Colorado Cavies is right. Just because babies haven't happened YET doesn't mean they won't happen, and just because the owners say she's never been pregnant doesn't make that true either. It's Craigslist, and, sad to say...people lie.

People can also be mistaken, though. Maybe the reason they haven't had babies is because they aren't a male/female pair!

Any number of things could be going on here. Your best best is to prepare to have them separated if need be, and take them in to your cavy savvy vet for a checkup when they come home with you. A vet will be able to tell you, much better than we can, all about the situation with their genitals, if neutering is a safe option for your boar, if your sow is pregnant...plus any other important health information.

If they are fully grown then they should get timothy hay pellets and timothy hay to eat.

When you get them, sex them as soon as possible. They may end up being both males or both females even.

I would seperate them. Depending what they say, you may want to take the supposed neutered/spayed on to the vet to confirm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.