Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Something weird: PLEASE READ AND HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ok, so a week ago my friend gave me her pig Gizmo to watch for a week while she went to Miami. I bonded Gizmo, Juarez and Darwynn. Every day I would put them in play time, but Gizmo would jump around, shake his head and the such. Now, since hes gone home, Darwynn has started jumping around like the same, and i know its not popcorning because his head it always tilted to one side. hes ok in the cage but when play time is around he scares me. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Does your friend's guinea pig have mites that might have been bothering him and now your guinea pigs have it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A tilted head suggests an ear infection. If those are not treated promptly, it can become permanent. But you also can't rule out mites or other parasites. I think you should take him to an exotic vet.

For the next time, it's not a good idea to put pigs together just for a week. New situations stress them out, and they don't play like kittens and puppies. If you ever pigsit again, just leave the visiting pig in its own cage.

Lord_aperture

Cavy Slave
Pretty sure thats still just popcorning, unless his head stays tilted?

But if I read this right you bonded a guinea pig knowing that it wasn't going to stay?
Why? Thats just is completely unnecessary and separating them only causes stress and now that guinea pig who you bonded with the others is going to wonder where his cage mates went and be lonely.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Just a comment - it's generally a bad idea to throw a new pig in with current pigs, especially if it's just for a short period of pigsitting. Quarantine is a recommended for a reason.

It sounds like popcorning to me, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to treat them for mites.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My pig popcorns like that. He jumps up and shakes his head around, and then he stops when he's done pop corning.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
ok. so how might i treat him for mites? it mightnbe his popcorning. but im not totally sure. as for the bonding, my friends sister has another pig, and Bomber and Gizmo are bonded, both stayed here. i forgot to tell you guys about Bomber. sorry!
i would take them to a vet, its just how much will it cost? im only 13 and have littke money for vet visits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.