Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Soon To Be Proud Piggy Mom (Virginia)

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kristie and I think Im an old lady compared to many of you. Some say Im crazy when it comes to spoiling my animals and they are probably right! Truth is I like most animals more than most people :D Don't worry, Im not a crazy hoarder or anything. Just LOVE the excitement, love and appreciation animals show when cared for properly.

I do not have my guinea pig yet. I usually spend LOTS of time researching and preparing before I get any animal. For now, I am rescuing one male pig from a friend's "adult" daughter. I "piggy sat" for her once when she went out of town and was shocked at how little she knew about proper guinea pig care. Before I started my research, I knew basically NOTHING about guinea pigs but knew enough to know its cage was way too small and it needed hay and veggies. All it had to eat was pellets. Poor thing. Anyway, when she picked him up, I educated her as much as I could and sent her home with LOTS of hay and stuff to keep him as happy and healthy as possible. Eventually, I convinced her that she didn't have enough time for him with work, school etc. and convinced her to let me adopt him. This was much easier than trying to teach her proper guinea pig care. She lives kind of far away, but hopefully I will have him in about a week. I can't wait until he moves in with me permanently.

I have been in contact with a local rescue who spay and neuter all their pigs before adopting them out (which is great as far as Im concerned). They are in the process of setting up a "piggy speed dating" session for him so we can see if we can find him a little girlfriend that he will get along with so he can have some company.

Im working on building his cage now. It is a C&C and will likely be 2x6 or 2x8 or so with a 2x2 loft for his "kitchen". Still debating on longer versus wider. Once I decide,get it done and make the cage liners, I'll try to post some pictures :)

I appreciate all the helpful advice people post in these and other forums. They were an integral part of my research. Real life experience is ALWAYS more reliable than things you can read in a book.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more and hopefully sharing more once I get little "CoCo".

Forgive me if I have any typos. I try REALLY hard to post clean but sometimes my silly phone sneaks something in or changes something without me knowing it. I have noticed a couple that I missed on two other posts. . . even with proof reading :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! And if you're older than I am, you've got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. lol

We'll need to see pictures when you get your fur balls.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! And if you're older than I am, you've got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. lol

We'll need to see pictures when you get your fur balls.

Welcome! So glad you found this site helpful and good luck with your new little furry baby.

Bpatters, this is so off topic, but my mother says the one foot in the grave thing all the time. Did not know anyone else said that. lol

pinky

Cavy Slave
@lifsvr7, I'm right up there with you..... I have adult kids and have been married for 34 years.... It sort of creeps me out when I think of how quickly the time has passed.........I guess time flies when you're having fun... I'm looking forward to your photos, too. Welcome!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Yay! Another person from Virginia! :) Cant wait to see pigtures and hear stories of your adventure as a piggy owner! :)

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I am still fairly new and learning as I go but I am doing a much better job of caring for my piggies than I was a month ago. I'm a very busy 22 year old with a cat and dog too but somehow I manage to find time for all of them :D I much prefer my animals to people, with my fiance being the exception lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.