Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay is pulled in from rack (how should I contain this?)

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
I do not know if this is a common problem, but all three pigs I have had in the past did this, so perhaps someone has found a way of containing this or preventing it from happening all-together?
Anyway, long story short: I have a simple cage setup composed of two Marchiaro Spa cages in the largest size available. We knocked out the side walls, and pushed the two together. The piggies jump over a small divider to get from side to side, but it is padded with towels so hurting themselves is not likely. Also, it is the proper size in terms of floor space for our two piggies. We prefer this setup over a C&C cage because it has a nice roof, and we have other animals (cats and a dog) that we do not want getting at our pigs. For the most part, the different species avoid each other, but we are not willing to take chances. We are using a hay rack that came with the cage and yes, it is working just fine. The real problem is that the piggies are pulling the hay through the bars of the cage, and onto the floor. No, they do not eat it, they just leave it there, and it eventually gets soiled. Therefore, they are constantly begging for more even though there is a ton of it on the floor of the cage. I don't know how much is really even eaten honestly. Basically, hay isn't cheap even when bought in bulk, and my piggies are wasting a ton! Not to mention making a mess of their cage.
Basically, is there any way to contain the mess they make for easier clean-up? And if so, how? Better yet, is there a way to train them not to do this so it wont even be a problem in the first place?

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
We have a wooden hay rack that hangs on the side, i too got sick of the hay mess. I found a little silverware organizer that is plastic the sides have little holes all over and it is open on the top I secured that underneath the hayrack... She will prop herself up on the plastic bin and then selectivly pull the peices she wants and the rest fall into the bin...When the rack empties out and she eats it from the bin instead...this had dramatically cut down on the loose hay/waste

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
We have a wooden hay rack that hangs on the side, i too got sick of the hay mess. I found a little silverware organizer that is plastic the sides have little holes all over and it is open on the top I secured that underneath the hayrack... She will prop herself up on the plastic bin and then selectivly pull the peices she wants and the rest fall into the bin...When the rack empties out and she eats it from the bin instead...this had dramatically cut down on the loose hay/waste
Great idea! I will certainly try that out!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I keep my hay in a corner litter pan. It gets messy sometimes and they even jump in occasionally but they seem to really love that experience so I don't care if I have to tidy up more in order for them to enjoy the whole hay experience. It's a simple pleasure for them.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
I keep my hay in a corner litter pan. It gets messy sometimes and they even jump in occasionally but they seem to really love that experience so I don't care if I have to tidy up more in order for them to enjoy the whole hay experience. It's a simple pleasure for them.
I did do that exact same thing a while back, but for whatever reason they don't seem to like it...they would just soil it...and then they wouldn't want to eat it. I couldn't replace the hay every five minutes...so that didn't exactly work out. For the moment, I am putting a litter pan under the hayrack. It has contained the mess so far, but I have to empty it out about two times a day to keep it from overflowing.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
I did do that exact same thing a while back, but for whatever reason they don't seem to like it...they would just soil it...and then they wouldn't want to eat it. I couldn't replace the hay every five minutes...so that didn't exactly work out. For the moment, I am putting a litter pan under the hayrack. It has contained the mess so far, but I have to empty it out about two times a day to keep it from overflowing.
yep I just put it back in the bin again :)

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
yep I just put it back in the bin again :)
Exactly. They don't exactly get as big of a time period to soil it because they only go into the bin when eating the hay, and this way they don't sleep in it. I will probably pitch the uneaten stuff at the end of the day though to maintain the cleanliness of the nutrients going into their mouths you know. Maybe it is just my natural germaphobe instinct, but I dont think day old recycled hay sounds very appatizing;)

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
Exactly. They don't exactly get as big of a time period to soil it because they only go into the bin when eating the hay, and this way they don't sleep in it. I will probably pitch the uneaten stuff at the end of the day though to maintain the cleanliness of the nutrients going into their mouths you know. Maybe it is just my natural germaphobe instinct, but I dont think day old recycled hay sounds very appatizing;)

agreed at the end of the day most of what is left is the little pieces and dust...so i just vaccume it out with the poops and refill

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.