Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Itching more after fist ivermectin dose?

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
used the diluted horse paste ivermectin and followed the directions, and she is doing good however since I gave her the dose she seems to be itching MORE and a little more aggitated about it...Could it be side effect, allergy the mites dying off. ?? she is not breaking the skin...just more itchy and aggitated

Does it take all 3 doses before they feel better or is it more like a human taking antibiotics where they tell you that you will feel better in a few days but to continue to the treatment anyways?

Also I have had her 4 wks going on 5ish? When I got her she would loose black and white flecks when stressed or brushed touched. mild itchy and sensitive on the rear.

I gave her a soak with some coconut oil and small animal shampoo, cleaned her ears that fixed the black specs I think it was dry skin and crud in her ears. (she had been checked by a vet at the same time, who was not helpful but not concerned i guess) but I still notice the tiny white specs...no moving anything no lice bugs or scabs just tiny white specs..I would think in 4-5 weeks if the specs were lice/nits I would see some lice on her by now?

P.s. I did my first nail trim on her myself :) :) when I got her her nails were wrapped all the way under and the quicks were longer than normal due to the length...so the vets did the first two trims to help quick her back a bit and help me out! YEAH ME!!

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
Oh and how much crust is normal on the eye. She gets a tiny spec on her eye almost every day...but its a spec not heavy crusting or anything. Just a spec in the corner of her eye.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A tiny crust spec should be fine. I used to rub "sleepys" from Mr. Whistles' eyes every morning. I think if you're seeing and removing them more than twice a day I'd start to worry.

Why are your giving your pig ivermectin? Does she have mites or do you suspect she has mites? If so, do NOT give her baths. Water will drive the mites CRAZY. Thus driving your pig crazy. Lastly, bathing doesn't help dry skin, it makes it worse by removing the healthy natural skin oils.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
Ok good on the eyes...thats what I thought

Ivermectin becuase I suspect that she has mites.

I gave her a bath when I first got her cause she was kinda gross, she was lacking in care when I got her. so I did a small amount of coconut oil on the really dry spots...and then gave her a bath to remove some of the excess oils and that really did help her skin :) :) But that was 5 wks ago when she got a bath.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
The itching can worsen for a bit before it gets better. You should see improvement in itching relief in around 4 days. That's been my experience. But, when they have a very bad case, it's hard to wait that long. You do have to continue with the treatments.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.