Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Reesie is making a weird sound.

galya137

Cavy Slave
Please help becausr i need to know if this is a medical concern.
She is making this moaning like sounds when isnt moving. I dont know what it means. She comes out and runs around fine, eata her food. But this is scaring me because i dont know what it is. Please help as soon as possible!!!!

galya137

Cavy Slave
Ladies, Reeses scared me to death. I heard the sound through my sleep and have no slept since 4:30. I hougt it was uri, but i think she has mites. She seems itchy. Where can i can Ivermetin? Or Revolution?

That noise was very unusual. I still want to know what that was. Please help.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is she hunching when she pees? Can you tell if there's any blood in the urine? If she's never been checked by a vet, you might want to take her in and have them treat her for mites and have her checked for a possible urinary tract infection. The moaning sounds like she's probably in pain.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @pinky on the possible urinary tract infection. If she's hunching or if you hear a noise when she pees, you need to see a vet.

For the itching, see https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html. You can order the pour-on ivermectin and the syringes you need for measuring from (broken link removed).

galya137

Cavy Slave
Yes, she looks very hunched when she pees, but I'm not even sure if she does. I will not be able to take her until Thursday, what can I do to ease her pain?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yes, she looks very hunched when she pees, but I'm not even sure if she does. I will not be able to take her until Thursday, what can I do to ease her pain?

I'd try and get her in sooner. It could be stones or a UTI. Here's a link for vets in NJ from the vet tab on this site.:

Veterinarians and Clinics

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take her in as an emergency, especially if you're not sure she's peeing. If a stone has blocked her urethra so she can't urinate, she'll die a very painful death before Thursday.

You can check about the urination by putting her in a plastic box with a little food and leaving her until the pees. Put a towel over part of it so she doesn't feel so exposed.

But please don't wait until Thursday.

galya137

Cavy Slave
I'd try and get her in sooner. It could be stones or a UTI. Here's a link for vets in NJ from the vet tab on this site.:

Veterinarians and Clinics
I wish i could, but i will have enough money only on Thursday. :(

What could have caused it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be caused by diet, water or genetics, if a stone is what it is.

But you need to get the pig to the vet, even if you have to borrow the money until Thursday. And then you need to put money aside each pay day for a vet fund, because as sure as death and taxes, it'll be expensive if you have to take a pig to the vet.

It's not fair for your pig to suffer. You made a commitment to take care of her, and you need to figure a way to do so.

galya137

Cavy Slave
I called the animal hospital near my house, whose vet is experienced with guinea pigs, and they said with tests and medications it's about 100-150.

NorthernLight

Cavy Slave
I can understand money being tight for a veterinary appointment. I've been there. But it is my experience that a lot of animal hospitals will agree to a payment plan, especially if you put a little something down (even $20) and sign a "promisory note" (meaning you agree to pay what you owe, over time). If you have to, simply show up with your pig and say, "This animal may die without your help, but I need a payment plan." Please, go to the vet, and let us know what he/ she says.

galya137

Cavy Slave
I can understand money being tight for a veterinary appointment. I've been there. But it is my experience that a lot of animal hospitals will agree to a payment plan, especially if you put a little something down (even $20) and sign a "promisory note" (meaning you agree to pay what you owe, over time). If you have to, simply show up with your pig and say, "This animal may die without your help, but I need a payment plan." Please, go to the vet, and let us know what he/ she says.

That sounds like something i can definitely do. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Could the fleece have caused it? I just changed it on saturday, maybe she got a little irritated since she is new to it. Because my othe pig, Chalupa, is doing great. She eats and drinks water and runs and jumos. The only thing reesie isnt doig is drinkig water. My husband has been monitoring her while im at work and when i get home i will try to make her drink some water.
She is eating fine and even ate all her veggies, and she has been fed the same tjins as chalupa. I changed their fleece to a clean one just to make sure everythig is clean and dry for her. Washed the other one and left it to dry ao i can keep changing the beddig as frequently as i can if thats whats causing her irritation and possible infection.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not the fleece.

pinky

Cavy Slave
That sounds like something i can definitely do. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Could the fleece have caused it? I just changed it on saturday, maybe she got a little irritated since she is new to it. Because my othe pig, Chalupa, is doing great. She eats and drinks water and runs and jumos. The only thing reesie isnt doig is drinkig water. My husband has been monitoring her while im at work and when i get home i will try to make her drink some water.
She is eating fine and even ate all her veggies, and she has been fed the same tjins as chalupa. I changed their fleece to a clean one just to make sure everythig is clean and dry for her. Washed the other one and left it to dry ao i can keep changing the beddig as frequently as i can if thats whats causing her irritation and possible infection.

At this point, I wouldn't opt for xrays. Ask your husband to put her into a carrier or even a laundry basket lined with something light colored like newpaper. My guess is, she's probably peeing but you're not seeing it. Have him give her veggies that have been soaked in water and wait for her to pee. You'll be able to tell if there's blood in her urine or not. If there is blood, you know it's one of the two so they vet can treat for the UTI. Best meds for a UTI is Bactrim. He might prescribe Metacam for pain. Both meds are inexpensive. It's the tests that tend to run more. I'd let the meds work and see how she is after she finishes them. Depending upon how bad an infection she has, she might needs two rounds of meds. If that takes care of the symptoms, you won't need xrays. If she does have stones, females can often pass them or the vet can palpitate them out if they're in a good spot. They can often feel them without xrays, as well. Vet costs can be high so explain to your vet that you want to do one step at a time to rule things out without having excessive testing done. If they know that, they'll usually work with you to make it as affordable as possible. Good luck and sending positive thoughts your way....

galya137

Cavy Slave
At this point, I wouldn't opt for xrays. Ask your husband to put her into a carrier or even a laundry basket lined with something light colored like newpaper. My guess is, she's probably peeing but you're not seeing it. Have him give her veggies that have been soaked in water and wait for her to pee. You'll be able to tell if there's blood in her urine or not. If there is blood, you know it's one of the two so they vet can treat for the UTI. Best meds for a UTI is Bactrim. He might prescribe Metacam for pain. Both meds are inexpensive. It's the tests that tend to run more. I'd let the meds work and see how she is after she finishes them. Depending upon how bad an infection she has, she might needs two rounds of meds. If that takes care of the symptoms, you won't need xrays. If she does have stones, females can often pass them or the vet can palpitate them out if they're in a good spot. They can often feel them without xrays, as well. Vet costs can be high so explain to your vet that you want to do one step at a time to rule things out without having excessive testing done. If they know that, they'll usually work with you to make it as affordable as possible. Good luck and sending positive thoughts your way....

Thank you so much. I will do that immediately.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Have you gone yet?

galya137

Cavy Slave
I am taking her today asap. Last night she made the noise again. But if she was in pain and sick, why doesnt she squeek like that all the time? And only between 4-5 am.... Lol. No sleep again. I didnt know what to do so i gave her veggies with some extra vitamin c drops sprinkled on top. And then the noises stopped. So strange.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I am taking her today asap. Last night she made the noise again. But if she was in pain and sick, why doesnt she squeek like that all the time? And only between 4-5 am.... Lol. No sleep again. I didnt know what to do so i gave her veggies with some extra vitamin c drops sprinkled on top. And then the noises stopped. So strange.

It could be that her bladder is full after having been asleep and she's peeing when she wakes up. It's hard to say. I think it's a good idea you're taking her in. Good luck at the vet.

galya137

Cavy Slave
It could be that her bladder is full after having been asleep and she's peeing when she wakes up. It's hard to say. I think it's a good idea you're taking her in. Good luck at the vet.

Definitely. It breaks my heart to hear her and not knowing what to do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Definitely. It breaks my heart to hear her and not knowing what to do.

Didn't you say you were taking her to the vet today? She really needs to see a vet and I wouldn't wait to take her in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.