Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Just a Couple of Questions

Blizzard

Cavy Slave
OK, so I've found the space for a 3x5 c&c cage. However, it's got to be cat proof. Here's my problem, I won't be able to reach across to the other side of the cage, since I don't have access to both long sides. I don't mind crawling inside, because I'm pretty small. xD So it has to be on the ground, but will most definitely have to be 2 grids high. We're also gong to make a base from grids. (My mum thinks they'll be safer.) Do you agree with this? I could make it 3 grids high if we don't have a base, either that or a playpen. (We could easily make a playpen though.) Any ideas on how to make it more accessible? It's going to cost me close to $200 to buy and ship the grids to NZ, soI want to make good use of my money.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I'm curious as to why make it 3 grids wide if you won't be able to reach across? Also, making it too many grids high and it will be hard to reach into when you need to take your pigs out. If you are thinking that making it higher will be your cat proofing, I wouldn't be too sure. Cats can jump fairly high. Rather than making it higher and wider, why not just make a lid to secure it?

Blizzard

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave it without a cover! No way! Hmm... good point. I just want to give Theo and his soon to be friends the most space possible.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why don't you consider an alternative to C&C if you're going to have to pay that much for grids? I'm sure closet shelving is available there, and it makes an awesome cage. I have a huge cage (24 square feet) made of shelving and I didn't pay anything like $200 for it.

Shelving also makes much sturdier lids than grids do.

Ditto @CavyMama on the width. If you can't reach in to clean it, you can't reach in to catch your pigs. And you will have to catch them, especially at first.

Blizzard

Cavy Slave
You've got an awesome cage, but I think we're going to stick to c&c. We're planning on ordering the grids soon, me and my mum will be sharing the cost. Shelving seems like a good idea for the cover though, as my family doesn't want to make it out of grids. (Too expensive to ship any more grids.) *Facepalm* If the roof folds back and opens completely, I could just step in... How did I never think about this before... Wow, it's that simple... :sarcastic

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
by base? do you mean a stand?
How many piggys do you have? Is there any particular reason why you're making it 3 grids wide?
I have a 2X5 and my girls have enough space between each other to have their alone times and their snuggle times.

a cage like mine(only with a lid) should be plenty of room for about 3 guinea pigs(well females atleast) and keep a kitty out. Not to mention give you some storage space :)
Just a Couple of Questions

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.