Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pigs fighting?! PLEASE HELP!! 2 males!!

jj7jj7

Cavy Slave
Hi! i have 2 male guinea pigs, i bought them both from pet shops. the first one i got on the 21st of January 2012 and the other on April 1st 2012. they are full grown now im pretty sure and i think they hit maturity and they are fighting! im not sure if its fighting or showing dominance! the one that i got in April is a short hair and is a tiny bit smaller then the other one that is an Abyssinian! the little bosses the bigger one around a but and today i had him out and i seen a cut/ scrape on the bald spot behind his ear, im not sure if its a fly bite he might have scratched? because there was a fly in my room all last night and i could not find it and kill it. Should i separate the two? I dont think there was any blood on the scratch. and i dont think it hurts him. here are some pictures of it. oh and by the way, they have a 2x4 C+C cage Guinea pigs fighting?! PLEASE HELP!! 2 males!!Guinea pigs fighting?! PLEASE HELP!! 2 males!!Guinea pigs fighting?! PLEASE HELP!! 2 males!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a small cage for two adolescent males. I'd enlarge it if all possible. If you can do that, and quickly, then I wouldn't separate them.

Do all the hideys have two doors? And do you have two water bottles, pellet dishes, food dishes, etc.?

wiggers84

Cavy Slave
i two have two young males that are separeted by a grid right now because they fight everytime they see each othere one is 8 months and they other is 6 monthes i have two of everything right now lol and i have been slowing introducing them they dont fight alot when they are on floor time only sometimes and fight when i put them in their cage i have a big cage to i also don't know what to do

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ditto to enlarging the cage, using double food/water sources and hidys with more than 2 doors.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
i two have two young males that are separeted by a grid right now because they fight everytime they see each othere one is 8 months and they other is 6 monthes i have two of everything right now lol and i have been slowing introducing them they dont fight alot when they are on floor time only sometimes and fight when i put them in their cage i have a big cage to i also don't know what to do

You NEED to put them together and don't separate unless blood is drawn. How large is your cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@wiggers84, please start your own thread instead of piggybacking on someone else's. It gets hard to keep up with which recommendation goes with which pig. Thanks.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
@wiggers84 , please start your own thread instead of piggybacking on someone else's. It gets hard to keep up with which recommendation goes with which pig. Thanks.

Aye. I got a tad confused for a few moments.

jj7jj7

Cavy Slave
That's a small cage for two adolescent males. I'd enlarge it if all possible. If you can do that, and quickly, then I wouldn't separate them.

Do all the hideys have two doors? And do you have two water bottles, pellet dishes, food dishes, etc.?

Okay! Thanks! i will enlarge the cage as soon as possible! and no the hidey houses dont have two doors, i have 3 hidey houses in there cage now (all with one door each) but the bigger one doesn't like the hidey houses, even before i got the smaller one he would just always lay around outside and he usually never goes in them unless there's a really loud noise! but i will get some with two openings! and no i do not have 2 food bowls and water bottle but i will do that right now since i have extra ones on hand!

jj7jj7

Cavy Slave
You NEED to put them together and don't separate unless blood is drawn. How large is your cage?

Okay! thanks! if any blood is drawn ( i will keep an eye out) i will separate them! but at the moment there both in the same cage with no blood so thats good!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As a quick fix, take out the one-door hideys and replace them with towels or fleece clipped in the corners, or with shoe boxes turned upside down and holes cut in the ends.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.