Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

4 Male guinea pigs. 2 together are ok but the other 2 are flighting a lot.

Aither100

Cavy Slave
I have 4 male guinea pigs (Browny, Whitey, Blacky and Gusto).

I hope you can help me. I read some websites and tried but I think i did some thing wrong.

I got 3 of them in January 2012 and i found one of them become outsider and so I got one more and so now I have 4 of them.

3 first guinea pigs (Browny, Whitey and Blacky) are about about 10months old and the last one (Gusto) is 6months old.

Gusto and Blacky are very well together and so there are no problem. but if I put all 4 together. there is a big caos.

Browny and Whitey used be stay in one cage and about 3months ago they started fighting and so I seperated them. and after 2 month, i try introduce them each other slowly 15min, 30mins. 1hr, 3hr and 5hrs but they are still fighting. when they are fight, they bite each other and become one big ball. both of them pull out each other's hair and have scars.

I found some buddy bath information from other website.

So I tried buddy bath today. in the bath tube, I put water about 10cam deep. It was deep but they can stand in the watter. in the water, they look ok. I pull them out and dry them by towel but I didn't dry them by hair dryer. I just a bit dry them by towel and i put them together. after 10mins, they fight again bite each other and became one big ball again!!!!!

so I put some hay in the middle. they seems ok but after 30mins, they start flight again and so I put another hay in other spot. They seems ok but after 1hr they fight again!!!!!

I' getting tired about them. I really want to keep them all but their fight makes me really tire. Right now i have 3 cages. It is really hard to clean all the cages.

My dream is all 4 lives in the one big cage and happily.

Some people said male guinea pigs fight till the death..... I don't want that!!!!!!

Please help me. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you introducing them? You need a big, neutral area that smells nothing like any of the pigs. You need several piles of food.

How old are they?

And introducing them slowly is the wrong way to go about it -- if you're going to put them together, then put them together all at once.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
why do you have three cages? how big are they (each one)? and can you tell us who lives in what cage? we would love to help, but need a little more info!

Aither100

Cavy Slave
blacky (10months old) and gusto (6months old) are living together in one cage (2x3).

whitey (10months old) has own cage (2x3) and browny (10months old) has also own cage (1x4) and so total i have 3 cages.

I got Whitey, browny and balcky at the same time about 8months ago. so they know each other about 4months and then are separated. Gusto and blacky are together about 4months.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big was the cage you tried to put them all together? Did you introduce them in a neutral area?

Aither100

Cavy Slave
6x4 for all 4 guinea pig together.

yes i did introduce them in neutral area.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't have any hope that you're going to be able to get these guys to live together in a herd. They're all in full hormonal overdrive. You'd couldn't pick worse ages to try to get four boars together.

Maybe someone who's done it can give you some advice.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
6x4 Is a great size for four boars, I have three living peacefully in a 4x4 with a 2x2.
Their ages is a big factor though, If it was me I'd wait till they were past puberty age and then try to do intros completely all over again.

My old two older boars are a year and a half old so they're past the puberty age, then the young boar I introduced was 7 weeks old at the time so I hope this peace can last.

Aither100

Cavy Slave
At which age do they pass puberty?

cavyhelp56

Cavy Slave
i just introduced 2 boars and they are in a 2x5 c&c, but i think the youngest Jordan he is 1, i think he is slowly passing his puberty lets say he mounts a lot, but for him its more intense. Hopefully your boars will be a heard. First give them a week to settle down, them follow these instructions! I would give them all a bath then let them all play in a place they have never been before, do that for an hour. Then wash the grids, chloroplast, toys, huts, fleece, and anything else. And then you put them in the 6x4, and see what happens.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
At which age do they pass puberty?

I think some It usually starts at around 3 months old, I'm not sure what age they clam down, but I'd wait till the older ones are a year old to be on the safe side.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
When introducing them in the place that is neutral to all of them, I'd keep them in it for at least 2 hours, I left my boars in it for 4 hours to make sure that no fights will start before i put them into their cleaned cage.

When you do introduce them, give yourself a whole day to do it. :)

EDIT: Also I'm not sure if you have looked at these links before but they are a great help:
Guinea Pigs Social Life
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46468

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I think you are going to have to wait. I have 4 boars all were living peacefully in the same cage until Buddy (now 10 months) started in on his hormones... I have had to separate them into pairs. Now they are just as happy as can be. I am going to try to reintroduce them sometime this fall.

I would divide your 4x6 up into three cages so that they can all see each other and communicate and in a few months try again.

Aither100

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much all.
I will wait til passing their puberty and will try the buddy bath again. fingers crossed.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i agree that now is probably not the best time to try and bring them all together. it gives you plenty of time to think it through, and read about the best way to do things. make sure you have a solid plan for the best cage set up - hideys, dishes, etc. and then make sure you have a plan B in case they can't be one herd.

when i had to separate my boys, even though their cages were next to each other, i had to put a piece of coro between the cages so they couldn't se each other. when jerry saw the other pigs in their cage he got so agitated, and was constantly chewing on the grids. now that he can't see them he's calmer, and no chewing.

the only other thing i'm wondering is given that pigs are so social, how will it be for them to be living alone in the interim?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.