Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How many grids required for a 2 foot wide 4 foot long cage?

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Making my little guys a c&c cage ready for Elmo's arrival, need to know how many grids this will need so I have a rough idea of what size wood I need cutting to put the cage on :) Cos I don't want too much extra wood sticking out...would just over 2 foot wide and just over 4 foot (either size) but appropriate? Haven't built a c&c cage before so I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to anything to do with them! (it's going on top of a table)

If you check out the home page on this site, they give you the dimensions for all the sizes. It depends on whether or not you use ties or the black connectors. Also, when you see 2 x 4 for a C&C that means 2 grids x 4 grids (not 2' x 4'). So you dimensions will be in grids, not in feet.

If you are putting your cage on top of a table, you will not need a wood base. Just the Coroplast.

If you check out the home page on this site, they give you the dimensions for all the sizes. It depends on whether or not you use ties or the black connectors. Also, when you see 2 x 4 for a C&C that means 2 grids x 4 grids (not 2' x 4'). So you dimensions will be in grids, not in feet.

If you are putting your cage on top of a table, you will not need a wood base. Just the Coroplast.

Somebody has told me I need to make a wood base, because I was gonna put the grids inside the coroplast & they said it would get messy quicker...this is so confusing lol

Oh + the reason I was gonna do it that was is cos it will be overhanging from the table...

It's all in square feet on the home page but I don't know how what I want to do divides up in square feet :/ I wanted to do it 2 wide, 4 foot long but when I google what that is in square feet it only gives me about square bedrooms

One grid measures out to be about 14 inches. So each grid is a little over 1 sq ft.

The best thing to do if it will be overhanging the table, is to make a grid floor rather than a wood base. This will stabilize the cage so it doesn't slide if it's accidentally bumped.

A 2X4 grid cage takes 12 grids. The grid bottom would be 8 grids. So to make the entire thing including the grid floor, would require 20 grids.

One grid measures out to be about 14 inches. So each grid is a little over 1 sq ft.

The best thing to do if it will be overhanging the table, is to make a grid floor rather than a wood base. This will stabilize the cage so it doesn't slide if it's accidentally bumped.

A 2X4 grid cage takes 12 grids. The grid bottom would be 8 grids. So to make the entire thing including the grid floor, would require 20 grids.

Okay, I'm buying a pack of 22 so that will be ok, then I can use the extra two to make fleece forests or something :) Would I then put the coroplast inside the grids on the bottom of the grid floor? And would lay the fleece on top of it? And would it be better to make the coroplast flat, or the box style most cages have? sorry for all the questions!

The cage is 8 sq ft. How many pigs will be housed in it?

The cage is 8 sq ft. How many pigs will be housed in it?

2 young pigs, one will be 3 or 4 months, the other a month. I will build them another level for extra space when I have the money for more grids.

Is there anyway you could make it bigger? As 7,5 sq. feet is the bare minimum for 2 pigs. and an upper level doesnt count towards square footage because the ramp actually takes away space.

Is there anyway you could make it bigger? As 7,5 sq. feet is the bare minimum for 2 pigs. and an upper level doesnt count towards square footage because the ramp actually takes away space.

Not at the moment, no, as the cage will be in my bedroom. I may be able to in time though.

Alright. Well at least it is a bit bigger than the minimum

Alright. Well at least it is a bit bigger than the minimum

Yeah :) I'm keeping the old cage Noah was in too so the little ones have had over £100 spent on them in cages in the last few weeks!! That's why money for grids is tight lol

Okay, I'm buying a pack of 22 so that will be ok, then I can use the extra two to make fleece forests or something :) Would I then put the coroplast inside the grids on the bottom of the grid floor? And would lay the fleece on top of it? And would it be better to make the coroplast flat, or the box style most cages have? sorry for all the questions!

Do the box style because if you go without coroplast side, you'll end up with poop all over. Put the coroplast in the grid frame with grids on the bottom, too. I use temporary cages in my lower level if we ever lose power.I make a temporary cage out of grids sides and a shower curtains with a uhaul pad and fleece over it. There are no coroplast sides and there's poop flung in all directions. I never have that problem with my upstairs coloroplast cages with sides. If the side are going to overhang and you want to make sure it's sturdy, I'd use heavy duty zip ties instead of connectors. I've done it both ways and completely switched to zip ties for my permanent cages.

Do the box style because if you go without coroplast side, you'll end up with poop all over. Put the coroplast in the grid frame with grids on the bottom, too. I use temporary cages in my lower level if we ever lose power.I make a temporary cage out of grids sides and a shower curtains with a uhaul pad and fleece over it. There are no coroplast sides and there's poop flung in all directions. I never have that problem with my upstairs coloroplast cages with sides. If the side are going to overhang and you want to make sure it's sturdy, I'd use heavy duty zip ties instead of connectors. I've done it both ways and completely switched to zip ties for my permanent cages.

Okay, I'll order some zip ties. Thank-you :) Hopefully everything goes smoothly. If I do get worried about how sturdy it is I'll just some wood to be extra safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.