Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello everyone!

Zappa

Cavy Slave
Hi!

My five year old daughter has been expressing interest in having a pet. My husband and I kept ferrets for years before we had children but they are not the best pet for younger kids so we started looking at guinea pigs. I did some research up front and bought a 2x4 C&C covered cage kit from the guineapigzone. We bought two girls from ThatFishPlace the other night and my daughter named them Tulip and Rose. Right now we are using carefresh bedding until I can sew some fleece liners. Today we made a fleece forest from some scraps I had in my sewing box and Tulip especially seems to love it.

I use cloth diapers on my kids and I find it funny how a lot of the advice here regarding bedding/washing/materials/ect is the exact same thing I read on the diaper forums!

I look forward to reading here and learning from all of you but I do have one question up front. The girls are pretty scared and cry when we pick them up, is that normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Yep, fussing when they're picked up is normal -- it will take them several days, maybe weeks, to calm down.

Since you bought them from a pet store, my advice to you is to turn them over and make sure they're the same sex. Pet stores are notoriously bad about sexing guinea pigs, and we've had a rash of pregnant males on here since Christmas.

One other word of caution. Guinea pigs startle very easily, and it's probably not a good idea to let a five-year-old walk around with them lest they jump out of her arms. Our youngest was seven when we got ours, and it was a good year before I'd do anything except let her sit on the floor with them in her lap.

We'd love to see pictures.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
I actually agree with bpatters - just last night as I was putting my pig back into her cage, I paused for a moment and all of a sudden she jumped out of my hands to get back in her cage, falling three feet and bouncing off the cage (she is absolutely fine!). But the point is just to make sure that you supervise your daughter with the pigs because the young ones especially really like to squirm and jump. :)

We're excited to see/hear about Tulip and Rose, what cute names!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.