Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Is This Crusty Eye?

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
My two pigs,Oscar and mr.Chester Walnut,wake up each morning with little crusty things on the skin around thier eyes in the front.My pig before this had them had these too.Its just like the little things some people call eye boogers that are near your eye when you wake up sometimes.Is this crusty eye?Please help!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Could you post pictures? It certainly sounds like a crusty eye to me. You have posted 2 threads now about possibly medical conditions. You should stick in one thread, because that is the forum rules. If your Pigs need medical attention and you want to post about it, post it all in one thread. ;)

A vet visit is in order. Anybody with new Pigs should get an initial checkup in my opinion. :)

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
Ok.Thanks for the help.And also thanks for telling me about posting.Im new so I didnt know.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Zuidy so crusty eyes are a bad thing? My one pigs gets them occasionally, they're clear. I normally just wipe them off for her and she's fine.

karwask

Cavy Slave
I don't have all of the info on crusty eyes. I suspect there are different kinds, with some being of concern and others not so much. My girl, Charlotte, was just at the vet with one eye that tends to get crusty-like. In this case, the vet said it was just salt and she suggested buying a tube of Vaseline and just putting a teeny, tiny bit on there for lubrication. So far, I can't find the tube.

But, with all that said, there are many other things that it could be and should be checked out by a vet.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
My piggy wakes up with little crust in the corner of his eyes, I thought it was just like humans when we wake up sometimes we have the little crusts?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
yeah thatrs what I thought too. My pig has had this for two months (since I've had her) and she was at the vet a while ago so I can't imagine it's a real issue.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
I have noticed it on one of my boys, but its not bothering him and he is fine all around other wise.

twomews

Cavy Slave
Is your piggie scratching at the eye? Our family adopted our first set of piggies last month and after a few days at home I noticed that one of our girls kept scratching at one eye. It was a bit crusty but not stuck shut or anything like that. We called our vet and she said we needed to use eye drops for a week, 3 times a day and called a perscription in to Wal-Mart for us. We used the drops for a week like she said and our piggy's eye cleared up very quickly. We haven't had any problems since and I haven't seen her scratching at her eye at all.

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
I dont really think its a big deal.I think its just like the things humans get.It doesnt bother them,and theyre not scratching at it.I just wipe them off in the morning.Ill get it checked out though.Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.