Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Gods <3 Thor & Calypso

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
Hey everybody! :) Thor and Calypso are around three months old, and they are my first guineas, but far from my first pocket pets. We saved them (yes it is a boy and a girl) from a pet store where they were already caged together and the owner was complaining about how much water "he" -- meaning she -- was drinking. So we got her knowing she was pregnant. You might think it was a really unwise choice, but I feel that we needed to keep her from being put into a home that couldn't provide for her and her babies. We looked around to find another girl to cage her with, but couldn't find any available near us, and she was already bonded with Thor, so we got him too. Don't worry, he's moving out before the babies come and he will be fixed! Right now They're in a two-story pet cage, but we have parts for a C&C cage being shipped right now (2x4 14" grid with a 2x1 loft). I also have an almost five month old hedgehog and two rats that now live with one of our friends who are about two years old.
So thats me and my little buddies, hoping all goes well :eek:ptimist:

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Awww. Do you know how far along she is in the pregnancy? I hope her delivery goes well, and all the babies make it! We need some pigtures! Once she delivers, pigtures of the babies would be great too!!! The forum has a great (So I've heard. Never had to use it! :D) forum all about pregnancy, delivery, and babies. You should check it out so once the big day comes, you'll be ready! I would separate them, even if it's only by a mesh wall. She can get pregnant IMMEDIATELY after delivering, which is VERY hard on her! They'll be able to see each other, smiff, and touch noses. But you really don't want another litter, do you? :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Maybe you shouldn't get Thor 'fixed' because if Calypso has any boys in her litter then what will you do with him/them? Because you can't really house more then two boys together in the same cage as girls so It might be best to wait and see what gender her babies are and if she doesn't have any boys get Thor fixed but if she does just introduce the baby boy/s to Thor and make them their own cage.

Unless you're not thinking about keeping the babies, It might be best to wait and see the babies gender/s. :)

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
thanks for replying guys! I've been looking around at all the sections a lot and I love how everyone tries to help you so much here, it's great! she's probably no more than a couple weeks along, but I already figured out the due date is earliest about September 4. we actually just got another girl yesterday so Calypso can have a cage mate after the babies move out if it's all boys (apparently it's a lot more likely than not). Rose and Calypso get along great, and Thor has not even seen her unless it's across the room (thank god!)
I am planning on keeping one boy (if there is) as a cage mate for Thor so he isn't lonely. basically, I'll have two cages going, one bigger than the other. I'm gonna mover calypso and rose in to the big one pretty soon, but I have to get them getting along just a little better (they aren't aggressive, just unsure) and on the same food because the store wasn't feeding rose the food I like them to have. they'll live there until the babies are three or four weeks old and then which ever we have more of (boys or girls) will get the big cage.

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey, where in Indiana do you live? :) I might be interested in taking in a boy pigger. Keep us all updated!

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
I sent you a private message :)

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Good luck on the babies. This site has been really helpful to me. I never dealt with babies so I cant help there, but I am glad you are doing whats best for your new piggies and glad they found a good home.

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
Yeah thanks, I'm really glad I found this, it's always great to have a supportive community to help you out...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.