Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie - Going to treat my piggies right this time!

Ratte

Cavy Slave
I had guinea pigs when I was 8 or so, and my mom left their care entirely up to my younger sister and I. So, that obviously didn't turn out well. I don't think we did anything right at all. :weepy:

A few days ago, I was hanging out with a friend, and we went to his cousin's house. They had 5 guinea pigs, with 3 crammed in one super pet cage, and 2 in another. They offered for me to take them, so I chose 2 since I know I could manage that. They dumped the bedding, scraped the poop from the plastic bottom, put the piggies in a box, and let me and my sis take them and the cage home.

On the way home, one of them kept trying to jump out of the box towards traffic. So we named him Leeroy Jenkins. The other is yet unnamed.

As soon as I got them home, I researched piggy care. I knew they needed a larger cage, and ordered the biggest C&C cage I could fit, a 2x3.5. I also ordered KMS timothy pellets and timothy hay. I can't wait for the C&C cage to get here. Seeing them in this tiny cage makes me sad.

So here they are:
leeroya.jpg
Leeeeeeeeeeerooooy Jenkinnnnns!
He's two years old

nonamezm.jpg
Still no name for this little guy.
He's one year old

I want these guys to have the best life I can give them, since I let down my previous 2 piggies almost 10 years ago.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pigs! And thanks for rescuing them. Just be sure to examine their private parts carefully and make sure they're the same, whatever they are.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Good luck. I am glad you are doing research this time around. So am I. I had piggies as a teen and young adult and never thought to question about piggie care. Now I do and my piggies are so much better cared for. I cant wait till we get our bigger cage. My husband wants to get a 6X2 cage and I cant wait till we can afford it in a few weeks.

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
They are very cute! And good on you for having another go. When I got my pigs that was my same mindset. They now own most of my room so be prepared for them taking over! Oh and tiny bit of advice, if they are both male they might need more room. Boys tend to get annoyed with each other more often. Then again they could be bffs like my Odair and Bear who spend almost all their time together regardless of their giant cage. Just don't freak out if they argue! It can sound scary trust me.

Oh and save that store cage even after you get their new one! Its a lifesaver if you ever need to seperate for a short time or medical reasons! I was going to give mine away but I am glad i didn't. Very useful!

Last edited:

Jennylein

Cavy Slave
Hi!

Well done! I'm sure the piggies will show you how thankful they are and you'll enjoy the time with them!

I think you did a good start with researching and being in this great forum. Do you have any concrete questions?

What about the other three pigs that are left at your friend's? Are they going to give them away to anyone else now?

Ratte

Cavy Slave
They are very cute! And good on you for having another go. When I got my pigs that was my same mindset. They now own most of my room so be prepared for them taking over! Oh and tiny bit of advice, if they are both male they might need more room. Boys tend to get annoyed with each other more often. Then again they could be bffs like my Odair and Bear who spend almost all their time together regardless of their giant cage. Just don't freak out if they argue! It can sound scary trust me.

Yeah, they're both guys. I made sure before I left with them. The people I got them from said they get along, but if I need to, I'll expand the cage. I'm glad it's fairly easy to do that with C&C cages.

And I know what you mean about animals taking over a room. I started with 2 rats, and got more. I have 5 now and 2 big cages. Now piggies. My friend's mom says I need my own zoo. lol

Hi!

Well done! I'm sure the piggies will show you how thankful they are and you'll enjoy the time with them!

I think you did a good start with researching and being in this great forum. Do you have any concrete questions?

What about the other three pigs that are left at your friend's? Are they going to give them away to anyone else now?

I don't really have any questions at the moment, but I'll be sure to come back and ask if I do. There are so many knowledgeable people on this forum.

I think they are still looking to get rid of them, but I'm not sure. Whatever they do, I really don't think my butting in would be appreciated.

Last edited:

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Yeah thats a good thing about that kind of cage! And a bad thing, lol, I've seen so many people who get into a cage redesign frenzy! Mine are in a large dog play pen. I can only mess with the inside. XD

I would love rats but my stepdad is squeemish and till I move out (soon I hope) no more animals for me. Then again i have two cats, a dog and my three piggies. People say I need a zoo to!

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I have a zoo pretty much. We have a dog, cat, 2 hamsters, 3 whites tree frogs, a fish tank, and of course our 2 guinea pigs. Oh and my 4 young children should count.

Ratte

Cavy Slave
Yeah thats a good thing about that kind of cage! And a bad thing, lol, I've seen so many people who get into a cage redesign frenzy! Mine are in a large dog play pen. I can only mess with the inside. XD

I would love rats but my stepdad is squeemish and till I move out (soon I hope) no more animals for me. Then again i have two cats, a dog and my three piggies. People say I need a zoo to!

When I get my own place it'll probably be cage redesign frenzy time for me too. I won't be too crazy.... hopefully. Counting the "family" cats I take care of, I have 3 cats, 5 rats, 1 ball python, and 2 piggies. so yup... zoo.

Oh and my 4 young children should count.

Totally. lol

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
aww Such handsome lil Pigs! :) I have my 2 boys in a 2x6 and it seems to work pretty well :) I am working the hubby on adding a 3rd lol! :)
But, I have 2 dogs 2 cats, 2 fish tanks and 2 pigs. As well as I foster 1-2 dogs too! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love his name and the reason behind it... cracks me up. I'm anxious to see what you come up with for the other one.

Ratte

Cavy Slave
I love his name and the reason behind it... cracks me up. I'm anxious to see what you come up with for the other one.

I wish I had an awesome thing to call the other one, but all he does is eat and hide. And then eat some more. He's really shy.

amiamiami

Cavy Slave
they are very very cute.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Maybe call him Chicken? (At least Leeroy has chicken). It would work for him being shy, too. :*)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
lllllleeeeerrrrroooooooyyyyy JENKINS!!! Do you play world of warcraft? xD

I am so glad you took them in, did the research and ordered the best products you could for them. KMS is a great company. I love their hay. So soft, so fragrant. This hay is so soft I could sleep in it. Do you know for sure that they are both males? I assume since you did your research that you triple sexed them.

Ratte

Cavy Slave
Maybe call him Chicken? (At least Leeroy has chicken). It would work for him being shy, too. :*)

Oh my god, I love that. I forgot about that. Yeah, I think we're going to call him Chicken. lol

lllllleeeeerrrrroooooooyyyyy JENKINS!!! Do you play world of warcraft? xD

I am so glad you took them in, did the research and ordered the best products you could for them. KMS is a great company. I love their hay. So soft, so fragrant. This hay is so soft I could sleep in it. Do you know for sure that they are both males? I assume since you did your research that you triple sexed them.

I used to play WoW, and my sister still does. She has 7 level 85's, so.... yeah. lol

I definitely did! I don't want any little baby piggies around here. I have enough pets! :p

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Oh my god, I love that. I forgot about that. Yeah, I think we're going to call him Chicken. lol

I used to play WoW, and my sister still does. She has 7 level 85's, so.... yeah. lol

I definitely did! I don't want any little baby piggies around here. I have enough pets! :p

Hehe
Chicken would be an adorable name.
My husband used to play WOW. He doesn't play it anymore. I am still enjoying it tho. I've got 3 85s. Cow hunter, DK dog and a troll druid. What made you stop playing?

Husband says we have enough animals too. 1 dog, 1 cat, 2 horses, 1 guinea pig, 2 fish in a 5.5 gallon and a 75 gallon that has yet to be filled. I've been practically begging him to get another guinea pig. So far the best response I've gotten from him is "sell 1 of the horses/you can get another guinea pig". Of which I can't, their both over 20 years old and I've had them since I was 7 years old :'(

Ratte

Cavy Slave
Hehe
Chicken would be an adorable name.
My husband used to play WOW. He doesn't play it anymore. I am still enjoying it tho. I've got 3 85s. Cow hunter, DK dog and a troll druid. What made you stop playing?

I just got kind of bored of it, I guess. I don't really remember. I also don't really have money anyways (pets again!), so playing isn't high on my "to do" list.

Husband says we have enough animals too. 1 dog, 1 cat, 2 horses, 1 guinea pig, 2 fish in a 5.5 gallon and a 75 gallon that has yet to be filled. I've been practically begging him to get another guinea pig. So far the best response I've gotten from him is "sell 1 of the horses/you can get another guinea pig". Of which I can't, their both over 20 years old and I've had them since I was 7 years old :'(

Well yeah, of course you can't get rid of your horse. Silly guy. He should let you get your guinea pig a buddy... 2 isn't much harder to take care of than one, right? ;)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I just got kind of bored of it, I guess. I don't really remember. I also don't really have money anyways (pets again!), so playing isn't high on my "to do" list.

Well yeah, of course you can't get rid of your horse. Silly guy. He should let you get your guinea pig a buddy... 2 isn't much harder to take care of than one, right? ;)

I know. I tell him why he needs a friend and his comeback is always "he's lived alone for 3-4 years. I think he's doing great" :/
I mean, the extra cost isn't going to be much. Especially since we only have to buy pellets and hay for Whistles now. Occasionally I'd go get another 3 yrds of fleece to add to the decoration.

LoriBush

Cavy Slave
Tooooooo cute!!!! I love Mr. No-name-yet... he's adorable!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.