Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How do you?

stephandcorey

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage, and how many piggies?
How do you spot clean your cage?
How often do you spot clean?
I feel like thats all I do is spot clean.

I have two cages;

Boys:

Cage is a 2x4 + 1x1 +2x3 for 3 boys.
The 2x4 has bedding and the 2x3 has fleece; I spot clean the fleece twice each day, Just pick up the poos. I then do a complete cage clean once a week.

How do you?

Girl:

2x4 +2x1 L shape, 1 girl getting more when mum gets a job.
2x1 is the kitchen area with bedding, 2x4 has fleece; I spot clean the fleece twice each day, Just pick up the poos. I then do a complete cage clean when ever the kitchen area gets messy. Or when I want to change the fleece to another colour! lol

How do you?

Last edited:
my cage is a 2 by 4 and i clean it once every 2 weeks or if it starts to smell bad i will clean it asap i also bathe my pig everytime i clean his cage

Is bathing every two weeks excessive? I'm not sure but I would like to know. I just gave mine her first bath and I have heard several different things about bathing. Some even said no bathing at all.

I think that bathing every two weeks is excessive. I bath my Peruvian long haired once every 1 and a half months or two months. :)

ive read that u are suposed to bathe them at least once a month so whats twice a month gonna do

Just wandering what breed is your guinea pig? If It's a long haired then I suppose 2 weeks is fine. But If it is a short haired piggie I do think it is excessive.

its a short haired i dont always bathe hiw every two weeks but sometimes he stinks so i will bathe him

I would imagine that bathing them alot dries out their skin? Again, I honestly don't know. I was just assuming I would only bathe mine every month or so. Also I just built a 2x5 cage with a 3x5.5 fleece/pad combo. There is only one guinea in it and I spot clean the poo. When should I wash the whole thing and use fresh linen?

once or twice a month i would say im not positive just a guess

I would say every 2 - 3 weeks? Because you can't pick up the pee. :)

Yes, I have never used fleece so I'm not familiar with how absorbent and what not it is. I know we changed bedding in the small cage once every 4 days.

Most people wash their fleece every week or twice a week.

Guinea pigs should very rarely be given a bath. I've only had to bath my pigs once in the over a year I have had them. To answer the question of the post. I have a 3x7 cage with a 2x2 bedding connection and a small loft, I don't have to do any spot cleaning with it and I do a full cleaning at least once every week. I have three girls.

its a short haired i dont always bathe hiw every two weeks but sometimes he stinks so i will bathe him
Guinea pigs according to guinealynx https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html should seldom need a bath. What kind of bedding do you use? Two weeks seems like a long time between cleanings.

I spot clean 1-2 times a day cage is a 2x5 with 2 piggies. I fully clean it once a week with white vinegar and water (50/50).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.