Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet I think my new guy has Bumblefoot

sakee

Cavy Slave
I noticed today that one of my guinea pigs foot pads isswollen with a scab. I saw this page and it looks just like this:https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html
I just got him on Sunday and this is my first time owning a GP. I don't know if he had it when I got him. I didn't look him over then and was checking out his feet today thinking about trying to trim his nails. I should take him to a vet. I am wondering how much treating this can cost. I was reading about Xrays and such, it sounds $$$

I found a highly rated vet that is inexpensive, but they won't have hours until tuesday. Can I treat it myself until then, or should I look for someone else?

Hello,
My guy Elmer had bumblefoot, we had him treated by the vet, but because he was pretty old already he died a few months later. However, I was able to treat him at home to keep him comfortable for a while, and that should be enough until your piggy's vet visit.

I bought a small little container of epsom salts, dissolved some in warm water twice a day, and soaked his little foot in a sauce dipping bowl. After 5 minutes I rinsed it and dabbed it with polysporin. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Oh- Make sure you're holding on tight- I let go of him a couple times and he flung the bowl (and water) off the counter.

sounds easy enough to try, I could use a pill bottle maybe

You can start treating him as @YayPiggies outlined, but do get him to the vet. He may need antibiotics.

X-rays can be expensive, but I don't see a reason why you'd need them... Other than x-rays, surgery and overnight stays for treatment, most vet appointments don't break the bank. It's not pocket change, but the big $ that you're seeing on x-rays don't apply to every vet visit.

Epsom salt soaks has helped many from what I've read. Gorgeous guineas also makes an ointment (FM/happy soles) that has worked wonders, as it sometimes takes a combination of treatments as bumblefoot can be really tricky.

Keep the pig on soft bedding, such as fleece or Carefresh. Avoid woodpellets & shavings.

(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

I'd forgotten until @HannibalLecter mentioned it, but I did used the Gorgeous Guineas FM/Happy Soles ointment on a very mild case of bumblefoot. It cleared it up very quickly. I 100% recommend it. Until I started using the ointment (it needs to be ordered from the UK, but their turnover time for orders is very quick) I was doing epsom salt soaks, and it didn't seem to be doing anything. Not to mention that the poor girl came from a bad background and was traumatised by me trying to get her to sit still with her paws in little containers. As soon as I started using the ointment, though, it cleared up in a few days. This was, as I said, a very mild case, though. And, as @HannibalLecter mentioned, it does often take a lot of fiddling around with different treatments before you find something that works.

Thanks everyone I will order that ontiment and start the soak tonight. I don't see any leg swelling, so that is good! The more I learn about GP care, the more I think the previous owner wasn't paying much attention to him. I just wish I knew how long he has had it

I think my new guy has Bumblefoot Here is a picture of his worst foot a few days after beginning Epsom salt soaks. I ordered him small animal nail clippers and hopefully should hear back from the vet tomorrow for an appointment.
I'd like to start blogging here but I'm not sure how to make a new blog. Can someone tell me how?

Until you become a Cavy Slave you cannot blog. Once you do, on the blog tab it will say, "Make a New Post".

I hope that everything turns out ok. Does he seem to be in any pain? (I know that I would be, but just try to keep him comfortable)

Until you become a Cavy Slave you cannot blog. Once you do, on the blog tab it will say, "Make a New Post". <br>
<br>
I hope that everything turns out ok. Does he seem to be in any pain? (I know that I would be, but just try to keep him comfortable)
Ok that's for letting me know how it works. He does seems to be in some discomfort because he doesn't walk around for floor time. But today he actually did explore a little right after his foot soak, so I'm hoping that is a sign it is helping a little. It's the first time he did that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.