Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Building a cage, advice needed

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I am unable to get grids but can get wire shelving and coroplast and am planning on building a cage next week. I have 2 groups of pigs who don't get along, 5 females split 2 and 3. I am thiking I will build a two story cage with the equivalent size of a 3 x 4 ( each level). Just wondering if anyone has any advice before I Start building, and just checking this is an appropriate size. 2 pigs on bottom level and 3 pigs on top level. Thanks

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Building a stacked 3x4 equivalent cage will be sufficient size for your two groups of pigs.

I don't have any personal experience, but my advice is check and recheck that everything is secure and stable before adding your piggies. Use heavy duty zip-ties and dowel rods if necessary.

mamajet

Cavy Slave
The wire shelving is extremely sturdy, especially if you overlap the lips of the shelves (all on top or bottom). But I'm not sure how to stack them and still have good access to the bottom cage. You may want to check out the alternative cage gallery to see if anyone else has done it.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I haven't mastered Google Sketch yet, so I can't draw. Sorry. But I used the shelving, and if you get the zip ties that are 6 or 8 inches long, they are thicker, and will be very sturdy to ties the shelves together. For the bottom cage, you'll need to have the front panel swing down in order to get in there and clean it. That means the "lip" will need to be on top. I built my cage with the edges satggered-the front and back panels have the lip on the bottom, and the 2 sides have the lip on top, thenI put a lid on it, too. You would reverse my way-front and back panels with the lip on top, sides with the lip down. I'm thinking if all the lips are up it will be harder to swing the front panel down to clean. I hope this makes sense. You just have to be creative and try different ways out to see what works best. Here's a pic of my cage: 03152012 033.jpg

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Oh, it looks better now; I had mis-cut the coroplast the first time, and I also added a kitchen to the one end.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.