Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hunter Progress and Questions about my rescue piggy

Jocelyn3113

Cavy Slave
Hunter So Far…
Hunter is an amazing little piggy who has made quick work of stealing the heart of us non piggy people, in fact the cavy fan who came to visit was joking about stealing him because of his sweet nature, I looked at hubby with the hmmm face? Automatic, no that’s our guinnea pig. Here is an update and a few questions;
Last night we tried floor time for the first time, we read up about how often they don’t really want to run around or do much the first few times. We have a house full of pets so it can be a bit overwhelming, and to a piggy who has never really been outside of his cage I would think it be terrifying.
Not for hunter though, hunter began scurrying about immediately, found a chair to work as his homebase and then promptly began quietly wheking as he explores. The living room was not that exciting though so today we tried the kitchen, (as he has now begun wheeking every time anyone walks past him), he immediately began exploring, but what I think is pretty neat is he will explore, then run back to me paw at my leg ( I am sitting on the ground watching him), then I lift him up he sits in my lap then promptly runs off, comes back, it’s kind of his thing,
Now question time,
He drinks a ton of water and pees under his igloo then sits in it and his area is damp when I pick him up, is that something to be concerned about (cage is getting cleaned lots but is very small, were still looking into options for a new cage…)
He also runs around on the couch gives snuggles then will run off run back to me lean against me and pee why?
He poops but not a huge amount, he is also emaciated might it just take some time for him to start pooping lots, he eats tons?
What is the real average lifespan ?
Hes eating lots of cilantro, romaine, and of course hay, (not really into pellets thus far and loves his vitamin c tablets… anything else you can suggest for weight gain?
That’s about all for now I am sure I will come up with more for you guys lol

Hunters Rough Start is explained here; https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introduce-yourself/72610-greetings-unexpecting-new-owner.html

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hi. I can not answer why he leans up against you and pees, I have no idea! Some pigs poop less than others, I have 2 and one poops a ton the other about 1/2 as much. Just keep giving him unlimited hay and fresh veggies. I really wouldn't worry about making him gain weight fast; it will happen with a proper diet and I think putting on weight slowly is better then putting on a lot quickly.

Use the food chart given in the other thread. Keep trying veg even if he wont take to it at first, keep introducing food he doesn't seem to like, it may take several times; cut it small and/or sometimes shredding it over food he does like will help a gp take to a new food.

Oh and weigh him weekly! That will help you track his weight progress and you can make adjustments accordingly.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Maybe he thinks you're safe so he'll pee by you. (Sorry, Mom! LOL) No, I really have no clue as to why he does that- only wild speculation. The more you get to know your cavy, the more you might understand his antics. :D

I think the realistic, average life span of a cavy is 5-7 years, although a few might live to be 10. All we can do is give them the best chance at life possible and hope it will extend their lives that much more.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Maybe he thinks you're safe so he'll pee by you. (Sorry, Mom! LOL) No, I really have no clue as to why he does that- only wild speculation. The more you get to know your cavy, the more you might understand his antics. :D

I think the realistic, average life span of a cavy is 5-7 years, although a few might live to be 10. All we can do is give them the best chance at life possible and hope it will extend their lives that much more.

Doh I forgot to answer that question! :eek:

MissJean

Cavy Slave
My pigs also pee in their pigloo *a lot*! Twice a day I move it to a different spot so the previous area can air out. Pigloos do not have very good ventilation. If you currently have a small cage and are unable to move the pigloo around, perhaps a fiddlestick tunnel or something would be better in the mean time?

If your piggie is under 6 months I'd also give him veggies like parsley and snap peas more frquently.The vitamin C tablet can be rid of if you feed plenty of cilantro and green bell pepper (about an 1/8 slice). What pellets are you feeding?

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@kananka LOL. That's what happens when there's an array of questions to be answered, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You just left questions to be answered by someone else. :)

@MissJean I didn't think they needed Vitamin C tablets either, if they were eating the right food, but I didn't want to say so and then be dead wrong! Thank you for mentioning that.

Jocelyn3113

Cavy Slave
My pigs also pee in their pigloo *a lot*! Twice a day I move it to a different spot so the previous area can air out. Pigloos do not have very good ventilation. If you currently have a small cage and are unable to move the pigloo around, perhaps a fiddlestick tunnel or something would be better in the mean time?

If your piggie is under 6 months I'd also give him veggies like parsley and snap peas more frquently.The vitamin C tablet can be rid of if you feed plenty of cilantro and green bell pepper (about an 1/8 slice). What pellets are you feeding?

Hunter is 2.5 years old :s
Oxbow pellets

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.