Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I spend more money on my pigs than on myself...

Cavylicious

Cavy Slave
Sound familiar? Haha!

Hi! I discovered this forum last year, but I've been a serial lurker until now. I'm a 19 year old university student with two wonderful sows. I got them in June of last year and they will be turning one year old next month. How the time flies!

I had guinea pigs as a kid (in the late 90's) but there was no such thing as C&C cages back then so they were housed outside in a hutch on the lawn. They lived until about the age of 6, so they did alright for outdoor piggies with no hay (yeah, I know... I feel bad about it now).

I stumbled across some guinea pig videos on Youtube last year, and fell in love with the little critters again, so after doing a lot of research about proper care, I begged my mom to let me get two. She was NOT happy with the idea, because up to now the majority of my pets have ended up being looked after by her. But I eventually convinced her and so we ended up with Pippa and Daisy (or "Pooper" and "Lazy" as we sometimes call them!). They're from the same litter. Here are some pigtures of them (Daisy 1st, Pippa 2nd).

I spend more money on my pigs than on myself...I spend more money on my pigs than on myself...

Words can't even describe how much I love my piggies. They are so friendly and they always make me laugh with their crazy antics. Last month I was considering giving them away because university and work have become so time-consuming, but after some serious thought I came to the conclusion that there is no way in hell that I could ever give them away. They mean so much to me. I would cry like a baby if I ever had to let them go. Pathetic, I know. My family say I'm going to end up like some crazy old guinea pig lady. Oh well. Some people have stranger hobbies... right?

:crazy:

Anyway, I look forward to meeting all you fellow crazy guinea pig ladies/men.

Eimear

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean, I used to spend all my spare cash on new clothes and nights out but since I got the guinea pigs Ive just lost interest in shopping for me, now I spend my spare cash on fleece and pellets and pretty, snuggly stuff for their cage :D My sister also told me Im turning into a crazy cat lady but with guinea pigs!

Im a student too, it can be tough to balance everything, but they're so worth it :)

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Families often don't understand how crazy about pets we can get, I think. I have certain pet standards myself that they don't seem to understand. Oh well. As well as you know you're giving your pet the best life you can possibly afford, right?

I don't have piggies... yet! But every penny I am earning is going into piggy planning. I am going to save for toys, bedding (fleece), their cage (which will be a piggy paradise, I am determined!), but it doesn't seem like that much to me. Why? Because in spending for my (albeit future) guinea pigs, I'm still investing in myself. Happy pet piggies would make a happy me. Who cares about fancy this, that or the other so long as you can hear their happy wheaks and purrs? At least that's my opinion for the moment! I don't think it will be changing any time soon, though. :)

As a side note, thus far I've only saved $4 for piggy merchandise, but I just decided that I wanted to do this within the last week or two. That's why I say, "going to". :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
My kids are at home but are grown but I still spend more money on my guinea pigs than myself. I just ordered 50 lbs of orchard grass and more KM pellets for them. I'm taking a special trip to the large produce mart today to get raddichio and some of the other veggies my grocery store doesn't carry. I found a water bottle with a different design than my others have a couple of days ago so I picked it up for them, even though the ones I have are fine.

littlerae

Cavy Slave
My husband sometimes gets a little irritated with how much I spend on the pigs.. haha! But I just tell him that it takes the place of me buying clothes and shoes!! He seems to be ok with that. :p ... He secretly loves the little gals to death though. :) He goes in there room and says hi to them every day and sits and watches them popcorn about haha!
I work full time and so does my husband, plus we have another house that we are practically rebuilding in all of our spare time.. so I know how hard it is to give extra love and care to the guineas too!! But I wouldn't trade them for the world either.. they are just waaay too precious! :) My husband and I have different days off of work so they help keep me company when I am home without him. :) I love the critters so much and my family, friends, and even co-workers also think I am a absolutely crazy guinea pig lady hahahah!! In fact when I mention that I am a member of a "guinea pig forum" I get laughed at!!! hahaha! :) I am constantly buying them things they don't need, and they go to the vet for anything that seems even kind of not right... ( I think thats the part my husband doesn't like :p vet bills are pricey.) But I just tell him they are my babies, and I simply have to take the very best care of them :) <3

littlerae

Cavy Slave
your guinea pigs are ADORABLE by the way :) Thanks for sharing those pictures!

HedgiePiggyLove

Cavy Slave
I'm the same way with my pigs. They have all sorts of toys, treats, fleece, and way too many fleece cozy items. Thankfully I don't have any kids because people would think that I treat my pigs better than my own children.

I am just like Laura from piggiepigpigs or even worse. hahaha ❤️

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hi welcome to the forum. Cute piggies!

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
We should make a PiggiePigPigs Club on here. :p I'm a fan myself.

When I said, "every penny I am earning", I should have just said every penny I am able to save up. It's a bit harder for me because I have a disability that prevents me from working. Any extra change that comes my way, though, will be put into the piggies. If I can find odd jobs along the way somehow, I'll do that too.

My husband doesn't understand it either. "How long do you think it's going to take us to get piggies?" He asked last night. After I asked him what he meant he said, "You act like we're going to be able to get them right away!"

Umm... no! But setting up for piggies is expensive. Isn't it better to save here and there for them now, buying any thing I'll need for them as I can along the way, then waiting until the last minute and not having enough money? Any way, I can also learn while I wait- and I can see that there is a LOT to learn before getting a piggy. That way I'll be ready with knowledge and some pocket change to put into expenditures. What's wrong with that?

I asked him, "would you rather I go back to moping about the house and not be actively moving to make my life better?" He didn't argue with me on that point. (By "making my life better" I mean giving me a positive outlet, and breaking up the monotony of the silence in this home. It's unnatural for me and I don't like it. Of course, I will be able to provide a wonderful life for a piggy when the time is right. ;) )

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Between the piggies, cats, bird, and horse, it's a wonder I'm not broke! Thank goodness my husband is very understanding. Every now and then he grumbles a bit, but then we'll be in a pet store and he'll say, "Oh, look, wouldn't this be perfect for the (cats, bird, guinea pigs)?" He also complains when I load up on cilantro, parsley, peppers, and the like, but then he spends forever picking the best package of spring mix lettuce for the piggies like a fussy old pig lady.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Not a piggy but still ... I got the dog groomed earlier this week as I was paying the bill I just kept think "I could have got my hair done for this price!"

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Hilarious! Yes, I spend way too much on the piggies...Oh well. I think I paid Cozy Cavy's mortgage at least one month :) Crazy Pig Lady is right, my friends and family think I've gone off the deep end - "You belong to a guinea pig forum!?" Hahaha!! However, I am a research freak, so they just follow that up with "Of course you do!"

Cute piggies and Welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.