Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Nizoral Shampoo: How Often?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello all,

Sheldon has been scratching a bit more frequently the past few days. Actually, Penny has too. The weather has been very crazy here, so all of us have very dry skin lately. I took Sheldon out to brush his hair, and noticed that as I brushed dandruff started to show up. I looked around on his fur, and it appears to be dry skin. I decided to pick up some Nizoral shampoo to try that first, and then go from there.
I cannot for the life of my see on here or GL how often I should use it. Is it just a one time thing? Or perhaps maybe once a week for a few weeks?

Thanks for any help!

ellisa

Cavy Slave
@kananaka , Oh, I must be tired! I literally looked over that page 8 times trying to see if it said how often. Guess I didn't look close enough!! Thank you!
I'm not sure if it would be the same for dandruff. I guess I'll just do the first bath, and then see how it goes.
Thanks again!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
No worries. I totally get how you could miss it, I had to dig to find it (looked at 3 different pages) lol. I did see that they said this "Note: if your pet is extremely itchy, is shedding more than normal, or has a lot of dandruff, a parasite or fungal infection are the most likely causes. None of the shampoos mentioned here are designed to treat these problems though Hylyt and Epi-Soothe may temporarily relieve some of the pain. Read mange mites andfungus to find out how important it is to promptly treat these conditions." on this page https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I treated them both for mites after I rescued them. Their last dose of Revolution was about a month and a half ago. Could it be mites again? I don't even know if they had mites, I just treated as a precaution. They do shed some, but there isn't any significant hair loss or V-shaped pattern on their backs. I'm hoping it's just dry skin, and that the Nizoral will help it.

Edit to add: I forgot to add that Sheldon also had lice when I rescued him. I can't see anything in his fur, so I doubt it's lice again.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Post pics of the areas affected and we can tell you more (not me specifically but someone with more knowledge ;)). But I would say it could be or it could be fungal... Post the pics and let the more experienced owners chime in?

Last edited:

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I tried to get some pictures, but they didn't turn out well. My camera sucks at taking close-up pictures, so they all turned our blurry and you can't make anything out. It literally looks just like the dandruff a human would get. His skin looks nice, it's not irritated, but flakey in a spot on his rump.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Curious, when you treated for mites before was it preventative measure, because you suspected they had mites (itches, irritated skin, etc..), or was it confirmed by a Dr. ?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
I treated Penny with Revolution as a precaution. Sheldon was treated to kill his lice and I guess it would have killed any mites also.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.