Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How, How Often, What Day, ETC..?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I wanted some opinions on what other people do to clean their Piggie's cage.

My plan of action is:

I clean each Friday completely. I have 2 Piggies. I have a 2x4 C&C cage connected to the equivalent of a 1x2 or so playpen. I get the guinea pigs into their cage and I let them get comfy, and then I block the tunnel to their pen. Then, I clean the pen out. I pick up the pen and detach the litter boxes. Then, I put it up onto the couch. I get a garbage bag and role up the Fleece and 2 layers of towels and put them in the bag. I go outside and shake it off. I have my own fertilized "Piggy Pit" that would be perfect to start a garden at. Then, I put them into the washing machine and I use some baking soda and liquid soap. I let them wash, and while this is going on, I clean their litter boxes and hay manger, then I clean their hideys. It usually takes around an hour and a half for everything in the playpen to get done. Sometimes I have to dry the laundry a little bit more. Then, I get their pen set back up and they are usually so excited to go back down that it is easy for me to clean their cage! I get them into their pen, block of the exit, and proceed to clean their ramp area and their cage. I do the same thing, take everything out, roll up the fleece and towels and shake them off in the same spot. I then put them in the washer and clean their hideys from their cage and their other litter box, hay manger, and other items in their cage. Usually every other month or so I do a COMPLETE clean, using baking soda on their cage and vinegar. Otherwise, I have Yucca extract cage wipes that leave it nice and clean.

Some questions:

Is once a week a good time to clean the cage? I spot clean each day usually.

How should I clean? Any other way to go about doing it? Should I use a Vinegar-water solution every time I clean? And is baking soda safe for piggies? (I wipe it off really good once it has absorbed the odors.

What do YOU all do and how often do you clean. Also, on what day?

Thanks! Does my schedule sound good?

Thanks everyone!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Vinegar kills bacteria and odors, once the vinegar smell goes away. :D
I spray the coroplast after each cleaning.

I clean once a week,too. I use two layers of towels with fleece, plus some tidy pads on top. I'll change or flip the tidy mats twice a week. The frequency of changing depends on how saturated things are becoming in that time frame. My pigs mostly pee near their hay and inside hidey spots, so putting extra absorbency in those areas may be a good choice.

I feel that if the top layer of feels has any moisture on it, you need to change more frequently.

My changing day is Saturday.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Vinegar kills bacteria and odors, once the vinegar smell goes away. :D
I spray the coroplast after each cleaning.

I clean once a week,too. I use two layers of towels with fleece, plus some tidy pads on top. I'll change or flip the tidy mats twice a week. The frequency of changing depends on how saturated things are becoming in that time frame. My pigs mostly pee near their hay and inside hidey spots, so putting extra absorbency in those areas may be a good choice.

I feel that if the top layer of feels has any moisture on it, you need to change more frequently.

My changing day is Saturday.

I think I want to use some sort of "Tidy Mat"

Could you let me know what kind you use and where I could get them? I have never heard of them but this is the 2nd time they have been recommended to me. :)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I change or flip them over once or twice a week. Making sure everything is nice and dry. They absorb quite a bit! I only have to flip them in their hidey spots, but any near their hay I have to switch out with clean ones.

Some people only change them weekly. I might just be OCD.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I change or flip them over once or twice a week. Making sure everything is nice and dry. They absorb quite a bit! I only have to flip them in their hidey spots, but any near their hay I have to switch out with clean ones.

Some people only change them weekly. I might just be OCD.

Haha thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.