Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing

feebee199

Cavy Slave
When you wash fleece before using it as your bedding do you wash it 3 times and then dry it or do you wash it then dry it, wash it then dry it, then wash it dry it again? :?:

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
wash and then dry wash and then dry and wash and then dry :) no fabric softener

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Does no fabric softener include dryer sheets?

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
yes... dont use dryer sheets either

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I also recommend a free & clear detergent as the usual brands (All, Shout, Tide, etc.) have heavy synthetic fragrances that I feel are too strong for guinea pigs' sensitive systems. I use Ecos, which you can buy at Costco, which is much gentler but still gets things clean. I also add a bit of non-chlorine bleach (I use Ecover) and a few tablespoons of white vinegar for a bit of a deeper clean.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Also, if you use dryer sheets with your regular laundry, you will have to strip the fleece every so often, to keep it's wicking properties. Because dryer sheets can coat the dryer drum and leave a buildup.

To do that it's about 1c white vinegar to your regular wash load on, SUPER HOT...no other soap, just vinegar...

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
To do that it's about 1c white vinegar to your regular wash load on, SUPER HOT...no other soap, just vinegar...

I put the piggies fleece into drying and was folding them when I notice an once used dryer sheet was left in. Is it ok or should I rewashe them as the quote says? Or would it be ok becuse it was a used sheet.

Thanks ahead!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I put the piggies fleece into drying and was folding them when I notice an once used dryer sheet was left in. Is it ok or should I rewashe them as the quote says? Or would it be ok becuse it was a used sheet.

Thanks ahead!

The one time this happened to me the fleece still worked fine. I would just pour a little water on part of the fleece and find out.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Hm, I never washed and dried repeatedly with new fleece. I just washed repeatedly, then dried once. Worked for me.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
What I'm more consered about is the fabric sheet may be bad for them.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
When in doubt, strip. Won't hurt.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Throw the fleece in for a quick rinse with vinegar (white, distilled), then re-dry. Vet visits and antibiotics are too expensive to take a chance. Also, use vinegar in the rinse cycle when washing-it helps pull the soap out so your fleece doesn't get full of static.

Stoli

Cavy Slave
Yes skip the dryer sheet, you don't need the extra scents on the fleece.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
Throw the fleece in for a quick rinse with vinegar (white, distilled), then re-dry. Vet visits and antibiotics are too expensive to take a chance. Also, use vinegar in the rinse cycle when washing-it helps pull the soap out so your fleece doesn't get full of static.

Thanks will do...Better safe the sorry and you are so right about the vet bills.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.