Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Help! My guinea pig twitches her head!

sieunjlee

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I have a guinea pig who was recently treated for URI.
It's been about 3 days since she came back from the vet.
And I'm worried because suddenly she started to twitch her head.
Throughout the morning and afternoon I didn't see this behavior until now at 11 PM.
I'm not sure if it's popcorn or some kind of a problem.
Correct me if I am wrong but when I watched the youtube videos about guinea pigs pocorning, it seems like the guinea pigs simultaneously jump and squirm their body.
But for my guinea pig she does a head twitch and then because of that she jumps.
I have never seen my guinea pig "popcorn" so I'm not sure if this is a serious problem or just a weird version of popcorn.

Thank you!

A popcorn can take different forms at different times. Sometimes its a sudden quick jaunt across the cage, sometimes its a hop in place, sometimes it does start with the jerk of the head followed by a jump or a run. If you are seeing the head twitch followed by a run, that sounds like a popcorn to me.

Sometimes URIs can "move" into the inner ear and cause an infection there. You may want to call the vet and have her checked out again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.