Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need Help ASAP PLEASE

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey read in a fourm that some guys were talking about where to put the guinea pigs inside or where to put them and all of that. but anyway to the point i cant have my guinea pigs inside cause we rent the house we live in (Australia south east queensland) and if i get caught with my guinea pigs inside i will get in so much trouble me and my mum and brother will get kicked out and i will have too sell the guinea pigs to an horrbile owner and i dont want that because i had them inside in a rented house so please give me some advice about this please i need help cause 2 more weeks and i am getting the guinea pigs so PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE help me thank you

I have previously had my guinea pigs outside during the day, but inside at night every night. I live in New South Wales near Sydney so it's cooler here than where you live, but even here there are a lot of days too hot and way too cold for them to be outside. You will need somewhere indoors for them for night time at the very least. Even with a secure outdoors hutch that has a well insulated area, extremes in weather and predators make it essential for you to have somewhere to bring them inside.

If you're well set up and secure and well insulated, they'd be fine most of the time. Do you have a bath? In a pinch you can set them up overnight/ for a day or two in the bath or bathroom. Depends on the room obviously.

Keep in mind that if you don't have them inside or well observed, you could end up with overheated pigs very quickly in extreme weather. We had hot weather, for us this week(30+), and the pigs burrowed under the fleece together and started cooking. They were limp, floppy and listless, and this was inside as it had heated up after a cool cloudy morning. They would have been better off outside, but our usual max temps are 35ish, not 40 like yours are likely to be.

Depends on your situation really - in Windsor we regularly had 35-40C during the day and my two stayed outside most of the day, came in at night. Ground (grass) temp was 23C, a foot or so up it was 28C. Inside the house was 28C. Very thick buffalo grass, afternoon shade, daytime shade from a tree, lots of plants, lots of shade options, and secure.

Now I have crunchy kikuyu paddocks, no trees, very good breeze though. With a lot of work I can set up a cool safe space for summer, with decent grass too, but they'll still come inside.

If you can't give them a safe protected space you should seriously rethink getting them. If you can, make it as big and secure as you can - at our last house mine had a cage 4x3 grid size(on grass, no wire bottom) for when I wasn't out there and a bigger run under a tree when I was, I just opened the door and spread some boxes and hay out. At night they have a corflute box that sat on the floor in the laundry (summer) or the kitchen (winter). We had the grids, but they don't want to get out so we don't bother with them anymore.

They're migrating around the (new) house now while we try to find a place that works. Yesterday was the bathroom, to cool them down faster.

Why are you getting them if you don't have anywhere to put them inside??

Chikochikka, if you can't keep the guinea pigs in the house because it's a rented house, then you don't need guinea pigs. You should check with the landlord, because most of the time pets in cages are allowed when pets that run loose (like dogs and cats) are not. But if your landlord won't allow them, then don't get them.

People have given you very good reasons why guinea pigs should not be kept outside. The danger of overheating, predators and insects are too great.

Owning pets is a privilege, not a right. If you can't take adequate care of a particular kind of pet, then you need to choose one that you can take care of.

I wouldn't get them if I couldn't house them indoors so I'd wait until you have a place that allows them inside. There are way too many risks to keep them outside without supervision. They depend on you to keep them safe and if you're not around, what happens when the weather conditions suddenly change or a predator, snake or spider gets in the cage? It would be defenseless. I'd get a hamster or bird that requires less space and might be allowed by your landlord.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.