Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Baking powder under fleece?

zoocilie

Cavy Slave
I am going to be switching over to fleece very soon and after reading everything about the smell I was wondering if it was safe to put your towel layers down first, then sprinkle baking powder everywhere, then put your layers of fleece on top so the piggies can't get to it? With 3 layers of fleece on top of the powder I woundn't think that any of it would travel up though it. I was just thinking that maybe when they pee it would go through the baking powder and kind of absorb the smell? Please let me know if this is safe or something similar to it. Thank you.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and don't have any smell at all. As long as you prepare the fleece properly, any liquids will go straight through to the towel which will absorb it. I haven't tried going longer than a week doing this as I have to keep Shelby's bedding clean because of the mites, but even after a week I have no smell. To prepare the fleece be sure you wash it at least three times before you use it so it wicks the liquids properly. Don't use fabric softener in the dryer and just to be safe I use detergent for sensitive skin and only a little bit, not even the recommended amount.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baking powder won't do anything for odors -- I think you're thinking of baking soda.

I don't know that it would do any good or that it would be safe. In the first place, you only want one layer of fleece, not three. Fleece is just used to wick the moisture through to the towel layers, and three is not better than one. Second, the soda would come up through the fleece wherever the fleece is wet, and the pigs' feet would be in the soda. I have no idea what that would do to them, but I wouldn't want to experiment on mine.

Your best bet is to keep the poops and the peed-on hay cleaned up daily, put small pads that can be changed as needed under their hideys, and put a kitchen box under the hay rack.

zoocilie

Cavy Slave
Wow. Ok thank you very much. And yes I guess I was talking about baking soda. Woops! Alright so baking soda out of the question. Thank you for your advice.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have to boys in a 2X5 cage. i use fleece, a uhaul pad and 2 layers of towels. i am happy to report NO SMELL!! i scoop up their poop 2x a day and place lightly stuffed pillows in the corners where they hide and get cozy. when those pillows get too wet with pee, i simply change them out. :D really, i think things​ smell MUCH better with the fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.