Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Large 'bald spots' on newly adopted guinea's back?

ProudPiggyMama

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm a new mama to a rescued male guinea (not sure of his age; he was adopted from a neighbor who never bothered to learn his age.), and today, during his first grooming, I noticed what looks like a two bald spots, both ovals about the size of a quarter on his back. This is my first piggie, and I wanted to know what was normal with bald spots. Also, what is an 'acceptable' amount of scratching? I'm not sure if they are part of rosettes, or what.

I gently ran my fingers over the area while trimming his hair, and he didn't make any noises of distress or pain, and he didn't squirm away or scream. The rest of his fur is a little dirty, but I trimmed out most of the mats and dirty bits. He wasn't kept in the best of conditions- he was in a smallish, 2.5x1.5 cage with very little room to run around, no hidebox, and several old corncobs. His water had bits of bedding in it, as it was in a dish. I was told to "just give it some iceberg lettuce sometimes, corn, whatever". His cage was underneath a bird's cage, which contained several finches. He didn't have any hay.

Since getting him home, I've been feeding him about a cup of veggies a day. For the first couple of days (I've had him for four days now), he was very shy and quiet, and hid in his hidebox without eating or drinking while I was in the room.
So far, I've given him:
day 1- One strawberry, a slice of green peppers, which he nibbled and then left alone
Day 2- carrots and green peppers again, with a bit of wheatgrass- he ate most of the carrots and ignored the peppers, and nibbled at the wheatgrass
Day 3- one baby carrot, and a leaf of romaine lettuce; then later two small leaves of kale- he ate everything I offered to him
Day 4- One tiny slice of banana and three baby spinach leaves, all of which he ate

If the problem is vitamin related, what would you suggest to fill in any 'holes' in his diet?

I have been supplying him with Bonanza alfalfa and timothy pellets (which he has barely touched) and fresh timothy hay.

ANYWAY- my main question: what constitutes a bald spot? The rest of his hair is thick and healthy looking, and he doesn't seem to have any insects crawling through his hair; nor does he have any dandruff-y looking flakes. He itches occasionally, and his eyes/ears/feet appear healthy. If it is a bald spot, what could be the causes?

I am still trying to locate a vet in my area (Jupiter, FL) that deals with small pets. Until then, I was hoping I could get suggestions or tips on this problem.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for rescuing this little guy!

Suggestion for what to feed can be found in the "read me" sticky thread on the Diet & Nutrition forum. Your pig needs red and green leaf lettuce and bell peppers every day to get enough vitamin C. Cilantro is also good. Other than that, he can have a little cucumber, summer squash, tomato slice, baby carrot or equivalent of a big carrot, endive, some other greens but you have to watch the calcium and vitamin A, and herbs -- dill, thyme, basil, etc.

If he's over six months old, he doesn't need alfalfa pellets -- they're too high in calcium. Straight timothy pellets and hay are fine.

Perfectly round bald spots don't suggest malnutrition to me. And rosettes don't usually have a "spot" the size of a quarter. It could be fungus, although the skin is usually (but not always) damp looking on a fungus spot, and they're often irregular shaped. The pattern doesn't suggest mites, either. I think your idea of an exotic vet is a good one.

Usually, scratching at an itch has some urgency to it. Just an occasional scratch doesn't go on and on, or get repeated a lot.

Good luck with your pig.

sillylittle

Cavy Slave
To find a vet that takes care of guinea pigs, you should check out Vets in the Guinea Pig Zone and insert your zip code. This directory is for guinea pigs, so it's a vet that someone KNOWS will take care of guinea pigs.

ProudPiggyMama

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice on finding a vet-

Re: the idea of a possible fungal infection- the spots are dry, and not perfectly circular; more like an oval or ellipse. I guess I didn't make that clear. Could somebody describe a "rosette" for me? The spots are in a section of his dark, black hair, so I may be interpreting a rosette as a bald spot, as I can't really see what is skin and what is hair. I hope to possibly get some pictures up if that could help. His hair seems to grow in "tufts"; that is, it sticks up in crazy patterns. Is it possible that I could be misinterpreting normal hair growth patterns as a bald spot?

sillylittle

Cavy Slave
He may be an Abyssinian (Abyssinian Guinea Pig)

Notice how, on his hip, there is a "rosette." They're kinda hard to notice on the black parts. The description you have of the crazy tufts on yours seems like an Abyssinian though, so hopefully that's all it is.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I guess you could be mistaking the center of the rosette for a bald spot. I just took a good look at my abby, and the center of the rosettes aren't even as large as the end of pencil eraser. And I've never examined another abby that closely, so couldn't tell you whether yours is the normal size or mine is. But abbys do have wonky hair that grows in all directions.

ProudPiggyMama

Cavy Slave
Hey guys- so, a bit more info:

He seemed to be scratching a lot, and biting at his rump. I've read around, and it sounds like mites, which scares me to death. I found this page (Cure Guinea Pig and Cavies Skin Disease caused by Mites!! <br>Treatment is safe and inexpensive! <br> Smear on Bag Balm or Vet Balm or Pet Balm<br>Symptoms: dry itchy mange, hair falls out, thick dandruff, scratching.) which recommends using "bag balm" to sooth itchy guinea pigs. Has anyone tried this/what were the results? He seems to only bite at the two spots on his rump. The local vet in my neighborhood said she's "never treated anything smaller than a Chihuahua", and I'm looking to find someone to take a look at him.

I think tomorrow I'll try the bag balm and see if that helps any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.