Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Pigs chewing coroplast

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
There's a hole about 3cm by 2cm that my pigs have chewed into the side of their loft since the beginning of November. It's behind the fleece forest so I didn't notice it until now. How dangerous is this? Obviously coroplast is not a great nutritional thing for them, but are we looking at vet visits down the road because of it?

Is the next option then to put the grids inside the coro to keep them from it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine take an occasional nibble, but in over years, haven't consumed a hole nearly that big. They do, however, eat an enormous quantity of paper plates!

Could you maybe pull the fleece forest out from the wall a little? If they're not totally hidden by the fleece, maybe they'll let it alone.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
I'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll have to revamp it and put the grids inside...not sure how that would work with the loft.

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
You could also get a piece of fabric and cover it up so they can no longer have access to it

zaylea

Cavy Slave
Does it look like they started chewing from the top and worked their way down? You could try sliding on some of these (they come in white or black):

(broken link removed) (if you only want to get a few)

https://www.amazon.com/C-Line-34447-Slide-N-Grip-40-Sheet-Capacity/dp/B0006HWA4Q (if you want to do the whole cage, this might be cheaper)

You might be able to find black ones at Michaels too, but probably not Office Depot or Staples, oddly.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Yes, it started at the top and has extended downward.

I guess the first step is to cover it with fabric to see if it helps (they might just start chewing on a different location). Otherwise, I'll order the clips and see if that works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.