Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated i think my piggy has bloat!!!!! but im not sure

tinkabell.xx

Cavy Slave
my piggy is really bloated in the middle, and whenever i try and touch his belly, he tries to bite me and jumps and tries to move away, he was also chattering his teeth when he was sitting on my lap and he never does that! but everything ive read about bloat says they are off their food, my piggy is eating normally, and pooping normally too... im just worried because he has such a big reaction when i touch his belly.

LilPig

Cavy Slave
What kind of veggies have you been feeding him? Some veggies give piggies gas which is very painful for them....

tinkabell.xx

Cavy Slave
he gets carrots everyday, then sometimes cabbage, or broccoli, or silver beat, bok choy, um celerey(cut really small with stringy bits removed)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Re: i think my piggy has bloat!!!!! but I'm not sure

That's not a good diet at all unfortunately.
Cabbage & broccoli cause gas & bloat, and should only be fed occasionally & in smaller amounts. Carrots have far too much sugar & vitamin A to be fed daily, it should only be a treat.

You need to feed the daily staples. Such as 1/4 Yellow or green bell pepper for their daily vitamin C intake. Red or orange contain more sugar & shouldn't be fed too often. A slice of red bell pepper does however cover the whole vit C intake for the average pig.

2 different kinds of lettuce, 2-3 Medium-large leaves each. There are many different variations of green & read leaf to rotate. No iceberg, be careful with romaine as it could cause sludge.

Cilantro is another great veggie that can be fed daily, as well as zucchini although many pigs refuse to eat it. Feed these staples until your pigs eat them, and then introduce rotational veggies per Ly's Chart.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Pigs also need good quality unlimited grass hay, 24-7. As well as a limited amount of a quality pellet such as Oxbow, kleenmamas or Sweet meadow. Most other pellets are harmful & pure garbage.

I'm worried there might be something wrong with your pig, while serious bloat could be deadly I'm also concerned about possible internal blockage or infection. Take the pig to a good exotics vet now to make sure. Depending on the age & where you got the pig, it might also be a pregnant female.

tinkabell.xx

Cavy Slave

thank you for the information, it is so hard to find out what the best vegies are to feed them, my pig does get pellets and hay everyday aswell, he always has hay available, i was told that lettuce wasnt good for guinea pigs, its so frustrating because i am being told different things by so many different sources, oh and its mid night where i am now, so i will have to take him into work tomorrow, i work at a pet store that has a vet clinic

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

Most of us have the same problem before we end up here.

The only lettuce that shouldn't be fed is iceberg lettuce, as it contains mostly water which could cause bloat, & almost no nutrients. Other lettuces are an important smaller part of their diet. We have the diet expert Ly here on the board, she has researched Cavy nutrition for many many years, that's why we recommend her charts & advice, as well as seeing the overall difference it has on our own pigs health.

Make sure to take the pig to a cavy savvy exotics vet, always better safe than sorry with such a delicate prey animal as they hide their illness extremely well. Pet store vet's are usually very bad with guinea pigs.

tinkabell.xx

Cavy Slave
thank you heaps, hopefully it isnt anything too serious, but i will post the prognosis tomorrow when i get home from work

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do not take your pig to a vet at a pet store. They have no training in exotic medicine. Bloat is a medical emergency, and you need a good exotic vet ASAP.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If he is eating and drinking and pooping it is doubtful he has bloat.

It's possible he tried to bite you and hates being touched because of mites. At any rate, it would be a good idea for him to see a cavy knowledgeable vet.

tinkabell.xx

Cavy Slave
the next morning he was completly fine, his belly wasnt bloated and he didnt react to me touching his belly, i have been keeping a close eye on him and he seems to be back to normal, i think he just had gas, i have stopped feeding him cabbage, and broccoli and that, he now has baby cos lettuce, some zuccini and a bit of yellow bell pepper, though he hasnt yet eaten the zuccini and bell pepper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.