Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Coughing or choking sound only when eating?

bostonbob

Cavy Slave
One of my new pigs, Oreo, sometimes coughs or chokes a couple of times when she's eating her vegetables. It sounds like a cough (not that I have any idea what a guinea pig cough sounds like) but the only reason I say choke is that it's only happened when she's eating here veggies. And it's not a lot, nor is it all the time. Just sometimes when she's eating, she'll cough a couple of times, then continue to go about her business.
Any ideas?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sometimes they eat too fast and then cough or choke. If they do it when they're eating pellets, you can put a ball in their pellet dish so they have to nose it out of the way to get to the food. But I have no idea how to slow them down when they're eating veggies.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Some pigs are just pigs, and eat as fast as they can, like bpatters says. Lately I've been wondering if cutting the veggies up into small pieces would help, or if leaving the veggies/greens in big chunks is better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.