Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hii everyone

Gina Cedano

Cavy Slave
My name is Gina, I have a son named Kayden who is 3 y/o.

A week and 1 day ago, his dad decided to suprise him with 2 piggies, which I wanted too :). We have Winnie who is a baby and Coco who looks a bit bigger. Winnie is very outgoing and loves to explore, Coco is a little hard to read...I don't wanna say she is mean but she really is. She has been biting Winnie since yesterday and I don't know what to do. I don't have another cage to separate them. Winnie does not do anything but run away. Coco keeps making sounds as if she is mad. Please help me, what should I do?

PiggyWiggy

Cavy Slave
I myself am new to owning Guinea Pigs but i know if there is an age difference and they haven't already been caged with each other for awhile that they sometimes do not get along. If you have a C&C cage you can always put some grids in to separate them so they can still smell each other and get used to each other that way. If you don't have a c&c cage and its a store bought cage i would look into getting a c&c cage check out the cage forum on this site.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If the were not together before this they may still be figuring out who is in charge. Try reading Guinea Pig Social Life and see if it gives you any inside into their behavior.

How big is the cage?

Gina Cedano

Cavy Slave
If the were not together before this they may still be figuring out who is in charge. Try reading Guinea Pig Social Life and see if it gives you any inside into their behavior.

How big is the cage?

The cage is 40" L X 21" W X 20" H, I am not sure if they have been together before since I didn't go buy them.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome Gina! Reading your posts 2 things hit me.
1. When Coco is biting, are they nips or is she drawing blood on Winnie? If blood is being drawn they need to be seperated. If no blood, they should work it out. Coco seems to be the dominant pig and will be the boss.
2. Is your cage a store bought cage? If it is it will be to small for 2 GP's. No matter what the stores say, the largest they sell is to small for even one pig. On the home page is all the instructions you need for a c&c cage. The bigger the cage the better for room. If the cage is to small it causes problems.
Also, there needs to be 2 of everything in the cage. 2 water bottles, 2 hideys, 2 feed dishes. The hideys need to have the front and back open so one pig cannot be trapped by the other pig.
I also say check out the thread Guinea Pig Social Life. There will be alot of info to help you.
Feel free to ask questions. We are here to help you and your piggies. Keep us posted on how it's going. Plus, we love pictures.
Again, welcome to the forum. Check out all the great info we have here.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Gina, look at the main page of this website (the Home button above) for recommended cage sizes. Piggy squabbling can often be improved by having a larger cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.