Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty blindness

tenniscat

Cavy Slave
Hey im new to this forum a little about me I have two female guinea pigs Wilma and Fiona, ive had both just a little over a year. They are both very social and active pigs. The other day though very suddenly Wilma started acting very strange, not moving or eating and when i picked her up and set her in a different spot she rammed the cage walls. I took her to the vet because I was very concerned the vet didnt really know what was wrong but thought she could be blind. Two days later she has settled down but I do think everything points to blindness. Does anyone have any experience or tips for caring for a blind pig? Thanks.

I've read several posts by people whose pigs have been temporarily blind for a few days, and then seemed to recover their sight. We can hope that happens to yours.

The main thing you want to do for a blind piggie is what you'd do for a blind person -- keep everything in the same place so they can learn their way around without bumping into things. And for a thoroughly heartwarming story of a lethal piggie (blind and deaf from birth), read (broken link removed).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.