Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions New baby. One eye smaller than the other, possibly blind.

africandreams

Cavy Gazer
So this is our new baby we brought home last night. "Adopted" from a lady that said she just couldn't take care of her or take her to the vet. She was being kept in a plastic storage container. One of her eyes is smaller than the other, skin around it is pink and the eye itself looks sort of blue. No drainage or redness. Doesn't seen to bother her at all. I just think it may be a birth defect. She sends healthy other wise. Running around and eating and drinking well. She is seems sweet, does run when I tru to pick her up but sits calmly in my hand. I can't tell if she is rumbling or purring when I rub her. It sounds like a purr but she does vibrate when she does it. Doesn't try to run away she will sniff around on me.

Any advice on her eye?

How do you tell if it's a happy purr?

20150416 093046
20150416 092933
20150416 093025

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's a genetic defect, I think. It's called microphthalmia, and is most often seen in lethal whites where both eyes are affected. But it does happen in those that aren't lethals. She probably can't see out of it -- maybe light and dark, but that's all. She should be fine, even so.

But if you're going to take her to the vet for a check-up, they should look at it just to make doubly sure that there's nothing in the eye, and that it's not smaller just because she's squinting.

She sure is cute!

africandreams

Cavy Gazer
Yes, it's a genetic defect, I think. It's called microphthalmia, and is most often seen in lethal whites where both eyes are affected. But it does happen in those that aren't lethals. She probably can't see out of it -- maybe light and dark, but that's all. She should be fine, even so.

But if you're going to take her to the vet for a check-up, they should look at it just to make doubly sure that there's nothing in the eye, and that it's not smaller just because she's squinting.

She sure is cute!

Thank you for your response. I just read up on that condition but I an a little confused. I obviously don't know what she was bred from bit it looks like it's saying that the eye condition is in what is called lethal guinea pigs and that they are always born white? Since she is not solid white dis that make a difference?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She is definitely NOT lethal. But lethal white guinea pigs always have microphthalmia. Some others pigs occasionally do, and it's from a genetic defect, but they don't have the whole lethal white constellation. Microphthalmia just means small eye(s). They can appear not to have either or both eyes, but usually there's eye tissue there, even if it's not visible.

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
what a pretty girl, so glad you were able to take her in. I'm not familiar with the eye condition but if you bring her in please let us know what you find out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
She's so cute! Had I seen her on craigslist around here, I'd have scooped her up.... lucky you. What did you name her?

africandreams

Cavy Gazer
She's so cute! Had I seen her on craigslist around here, I'd have scooped her up.... lucky you. What did you name her?

Still trying to decide on a name. For her and our other baby actually. Is been alost a month since we have had her and still not decided on her name. I'm so bad with picking out names. .......ssuggestions?

Our other baby

[ATTCONFIG]73621[/ATTACH]

Attachments

20150324_085723-1.jpg

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
What about Peanut Butter and Cookie?

gpiggies

Cavy Slave
Your girls are SO cute, wow <3 so glad they went to a good home!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've had babies born here at the rescue that had one eye smaller than the other. What's weird is that after a few weeks the eye becomes normal looking.

Einstein

Cavy Slave
They're so cute! Glad she's in good hands (literally, lol)

i suck at naming, but you should just call her fuzzy butt until you find a name.

africandreams

Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone. She seems to be healthy other than the eye. She is sweet, more calm than our aby we have had for a month. she is a little firecracker and doesn't seem to like attention too much unless I'm feeding her lol. I'm already wishing I had went worth the bigger c&c cage instead of the 3x2 because I'm thinking of a 3rd. My husband's going to kill me. We already have a boston terrier, a sun conure and a saltwater reef tank.

As far as names go. I think we have decided on Cocoa for the aby and Remi for the teddy

CassiesCavy

Cavy Slave
Those are great names, [MENTION=34898]africandreams[/MENTION]!

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
I have always thought a cute one would be Maisie and Daisy for names. Or for an Abyssinian, because there rosettes remind me of constellations, maybe Libra and Lyra or something?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Lucy and Ethel :)