Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How To Make One?

Nibles230

Cavy Slave
Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to make a wodden hay rack?

Thanks,
Nibles230​

Last edited:
What a good idea, to make a wooden hay rack ! Oh that shouldn't be too hard at all, to make ! Just get some un-treated wood pieces from like the home depot !

1. Draw by hand or online, the type of design you want.

2. Decide on all the materials and tools you will need to put it together. Make a list and find/buy those items.

3. Once it is all put together make sure that you sand down all the sharp edges, completely wipe off all the dust that accumulated.

This is how I would do it I think, however , this is off the top of my old head..so customize to your desire of course !

I would need the following materials/tools:
*Srewdriver
*Screws
* Sandpaper- coarse, medium and fine
* Non-toxic wood glue
* One medium sized rectangular wood piece, roughly 12" length, 8" High, 2" width
* Two semi wide triangles ( wood of course)
* Roughly, 6 long ( size and shape of a ruler) wooden pieces say, 1" wide, 12 inches long
* Two metal hooks ( like the shape you use to hang a christmas wreath on your door, but not long like that, and two of them...don't know the correct name for what I am talking about :ashamed:)

You know...I thought my husband was still up, and he could help me figure out how to draw a diagram for you, so I could post what I had in mind, so sorry ! I should ask Lissie (she is awesome at constructing diagrams for building things) how I can do that!

Hope I helped you somewhat anyhow ! Good luck, for I think it is a great idea and a fun simple project to do !

One other safe alternative would be some kind of un-treated willow basket that was shaped in such a way , that one could hang it in there piggies cage, and fill it with hay.

HAPPY BUILDING !!:cool:

Why do you want a wooden hay rack? The pigs will just gnaw it, so it can't be pine or cedar or any other aromatic wood. I also wouldn't put screws in one for fear of them breaking a tooth on one -- most wooden things that go in animal cages are just glued together with non-toxic glue.

Okay, then what other way can I make it?

I just found out that they sell one at petco, is it good? Has anybody used it before?

Why do you want a wooden hay rack? The pigs will just gnaw it, so it can't be pine or cedar or any other aromatic wood. I also wouldn't put screws in one for fear of them breaking a tooth on one -- most wooden things that go in animal cages are just glued together with non-toxic glue.

Billie- if the screws were flat and flush with the wood, I really don't think there is a possibility that they could break a tooth, or I wouldn't have suggested it. That is just, my opinion though. There are also woods that are non-treated, and safe to use at home depot. Also, the "gnawing" is good for their incisors, too...which is what I would of expected them to do, somewhat.

Nibles230- Although, you could just use some safe non-toxic wood glue, instead of screws, which probably would be better.

I use a plastic, triangle shaped litter box. I have velcro attached to the two sides so it holds to the side of the coroplast. They jump in it sometimes but I clean it out once a day and refill as needed. They LOVE hay so it's an easy way for them to enjoy as much hay as they want.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.