Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Weird question (dog cage as an alternative?)

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
I have a large dog cage that we bought and only used once when our dog broke her leg 4 years ago. Well the grids on the side are long, they are 5"long, but only 1" wide. This is all around, the bottom ones are side ways, 5" wide and 1"tall. It has a large black flat bottom, no wire.
Is this something I might be able to use till I can make my C&C cage?
It is not MUCH bigger than my store cage, only 2.5'x1.5'.
Her current cage is (inside measurments) 28"x16".
Is this something I can do? Is it safe???

This is the EXACT cage (my computer hates me today)

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
I used one for a temporary cage for my two girls until my Midwest Cages got here. It worked pretty well for us. Just make sure you clean it really good before you use it.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is there any way you can zip-tie grids together and attach to the door of this to make an expanded cage?

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
I don't have any grids yet, that's why I haven't made my C&C cage yet. But that is a good idea. I was looking up ideas for incorporating this into a cage, and there are some upper level ideas too because it is so tall. I will try to take pics after I am done. How deep does the bedding have to be though? Because the tray is only 1"deep.

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
We used fleece in ours. Love it. It is very easy and cheap on you since it will be temporary. They really didn't kick anything out that way either.

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
And here is our finished product.
After 2 hours of playing around with stuff here is what I have.
Picture 007.jpg
Bottom of the cage, had to put a sock on the ramp. It is a wire rectangle pretty much but only 2 "rungs" so I covered it in coroplast (too slippery) and covered it in a sock(perfect)!
Picture 002.jpg
Top "kitchen" is coroplast box, supported by another metal "ladder" and zip ties. VERY stable and strong.
I covered both ends in coroplast (these were old yard sale signs I found in my closet, LOL) so that there wasn't even a chance she would get out of the ends where the try comes out.
And here is the make shift hay bin I made. I know it isn't perfect, and there is a lot I will chance when I make her C&C cage, but I love it for now. It has so much more moveable space for her. She is popcorning like CRAZY and loves going up and down the ramp!

Picture 006.jpg

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Very creative! Popcorning is a good sign too :)

The only thing I see to caution you about is the legs of the sign that is holding up the box. If the ends are sharp you may want to find something to wrap around them that won't get chewed (hard to find, I know!) so there is no chance of pokes.

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
Rubyrain,
If she can't reach them is it still a problem? They are flat on the top, but she has been putting her mouth on the bottom part of it, curious as to what it what I guess.
But she can't reach the tops of the posts even if she stands up, so would I still have to cover them? I can't think of what to cover them in that wouldn't hurt her if she chewed on it. I was thinking bandaides, but if she got one off, well...
I'll think of something, but as of now, she can't reach the tops.
The bottom isn't sharp at all, the posts (where it is welded) is smooth.

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
Oh, and I used an old sheet cut up with a couple old cloth diapers in the bottom. Very absorbant and washable :)

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I guess I always think "rather safe than sorry" with the piggies. Sometimes they can wiggle when you are putting them back in the cage even when holding them properly and I shudder to think of it happening over one of the points-KWIM?
If you know they cannot lift the bottom ones in any way then I think you're fine there.
I guess since I have kids I always try to think of any possible danger LOL

HannahlovesFern

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, better safe than sorry. I would never lift her out of the top for fear of dropping her anyway, and I would always put her back on the bottom, so no lifting over the tips of those, ever. I put more coroplast along the bottom edge, all around because of the horizontal holes, I keep invisioning waking up tomorrow to a strangled piggy. So I totally know what you mean about fearing the worst.
I have a 4 year old, so I totally know what you mean :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow...your cage looks really good ! I am so happy for you...and love the black and white garage signs and your pretty mint colored fleece !!:)

PassionPiggies

Cavy Slave
I used to house two piggies in a dog cage. It was larger than that one but worked really well. It was a pain to clean though - I use bedding not fleece - and I had to literally crawl into the cage. I tried a second story - only one pig would go up, so I took it out. Good luck with the C&C cage, I did a 3 level one because we now have 4 piggies. It takes a long time to build but I gaurantee your piggie will love the space!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How about putting a pair of kid's socks over those? Just so you don't get pokes as well as the pig! Stuff the end with something for a little padding.

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
PassionPiggies: Do you have a picture of your 3 level cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.