Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Snowball and her babies

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I've had my guinea pig for about 1 month and she gave birth surprisingly about 15 days ago. A few days after giving birth she started to look funny. She had crusty, squinty eyes and was lethargic. She was barely eating at all or drinking. So that Sunday I took her and her babies to the vet (walk-in). The vet apparently was allergic to guinea pigs and so a vet tech just checked her vitals and said she was stable to make it till the actual appointment Tuesday. But the next day Monday (memorial day) she looked worse and I was scared she might die so I canceled her Tuesday appointment and brought her and her babies to an emergency vet. They weren't really sure what was wrong. They did x-rays and he said it looked like she was having a problem with her bowels, gas in her stomach and intestines and no signs of pneumonia . So he prescribed her a antibiotic and critical care and said to separate her from her babies who were only 8 days old. The next day she started tilting her head to the left and looked worse. So I brought her to an exotics vet (different then before) and he said she has an upper respiratory infection and the start of pneumonia. He said the gas in her stomach looked normal and it was not bloat or anything like that. He prescribed her the same medicine but in a higher concentration but given in smaller amounts which was easier to give her and a Probiotic to help her appetite as well as continuing the critical care for her and her babies. She has started to eat again and is more energetic. Still tilting head some but I got her some medicine for that today and she seems happy. I want to re-introduce her babies soon once she is feeling better but I'm afraid she won't remember them and I'm wondering the best way to bring them together. One baby pig at a time? this is assuming both babies are females. This has been a crazy adventure for me, oh and the babies are healthy! Any advice?

Best advice I can give is to stick with the last vet -- s/he is the only one who sounds competent.

If you're going to put the babies back (and you're right, don't put any males of that age back with her), put them all back at once. Otherwise, you're just stringing the introduction stress out for a longer period of time. And with babies, there's shouldn't be any dominance issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.