Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Surrounded By Girls and Loving It

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to come here and post a quick hello from me and my girls.

A little about me. I am married now for almost three and a half years, with a daughter who just started Pre-K. She just turned 3 in July. I am a gymnastics and bowling mom, and if our daughter has a say we will be doing soccer in the near future. We are new to the slavery of keeping guinea pigs. I say we because everyone has their jobs each day. Including water, floor time, snuggle time, etc. We all do our part. (We even bought flip top water bottles so our three year old can do it herself, since she is Miss Independent).

I have owned a guinea pig in the past and never worried about what it ate or drank or toileted on. It was when I was a child and these things weren't important. I can't even remember the guinea pigs name. I feel badly every time I think about the life that poor thing had, and refuse to let my girls have that kind of life. My husband has never owned a guinea pig before, but he is falling more and more in love with the girls each and every day.

About our girls:

I bought our first two girls from a pet store. I know don't shoot me, I had no idea how bad of an idea that was. That would be our Lula and Issa.

We also have a new adoptee, Naya. She is a big girl at about 2 and a half pounds. Where as Lula and Issa are about a pound and a half.

We are adopting two babies in two weeks. Jada and Zima. Both Abby's. I fell in love with them the moment I saw them.

Our Set Up:

We have two Midwest Guinea Pig Habitats. The babies will be in one and the big girls in another until the babies are ready for Adult food. Then the cages will be combined. We feed Oxbow Cavy Cuisine to the Big Girls and have already got our Oxbow Cavy Performance for the babies. We feed Oxbow Orchard Grass ever since I found out that I am allergic to Timothy Hay. We use fleece as bedding and love it. Vacuum every day and clean cage once a week for two piggies.

I read every day on how I can improve on how we are taking care of our cavies. We are adjusting to becoming the slaves we were born to be. That is why I am here, to gain the knowledge of some of the biggest cavy slaves around :)!

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
Surrounded By Girls and Loving It This is Issa
Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItThis is Lula
Surrounded By Girls and Loving It This is Naya
Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItThis is Jada
Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItThis is Zima

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Awww! they're so cute! I see they are enjoying some lettuce. Welcome to the forum by the way!:)

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
Thank you! And yes they love them some lettuce.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Your young ladies are so cute! I had never seen a little GP until this site. Then in Aug. we saw 8 day old piggies!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome! So glad you found this site for some great info. The babies are so cute, be sure to sex them yourself and don't take someone else's word for it-sooo many have learned the hard way ;)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!! Glad to see you did your research! So many people get these wonderful pets thinking they can just be stuck in a little cage with no interaction but in reality, they're is so much more to them! There needs to be more people like you, people that are willing to learn about and enjoy them. It really makes me happy knowing you are doing all that you can to make sure they live happy lives! They are so adorable, thank you for the pics. I really like Naya's colors! Cant wait to see pics of there cages!

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
RubyRain - I definitely did my research on sexing them. I have sexed the three we have now and I am pretty positive they are females.

SweetiePig - Thank you. I love reading about them. I stay up all night doing it. Especially when I can't sleep. (Which is just about every night).

Here is a picture of the cage we have for 2 of the girls.
Surrounded By Girls and Loving It
We have pretty much the same setup for the babies that are coming. Naya is being a little aggressive so she is in her own as of now.

CavyMommy87

Cavy Slave
We got our babies today.... And a little extra friend!

Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItOur new Chinchilla, Jake!
Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItOur baby Jada
Surrounded By Girls and Loving ItOur other baby, Zima.

We adopted Naya out to a woman who had, had guinea pigs in the past and she is doing wonderful. I just knew that was the right choice for us!

Well, just wanted to let everyone see new photos of the new girls!!! And of course Jake! We are super excited for everyone to be home.

Oh and the cage is a little different now. We actually took out the divider and the log, since they share the fiddle sticks as a hideout. Much more room, I believe they all love it... no one has wheeked in anger yet!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Glad to here it all worked out for Naya, I know that was a hard choice to make:weepy:. Love the new pics!

DarkVoodoo

Cavy Slave
Aww! So cute.
Welcome :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.