Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Bite/scratch on back

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
My herd: Yeti, Grizzly, and now Buddy. Yeti and Grizz are my abby sows, and Buddy is my newly adopted neutered (with complications) boar. They were introduced a week ago or so, with some difficultly during the first 24 hours.

Well, two nights ago during lap time, I palpated what I thought was a small (~3mm diameter) lump on Yeti's rear. It was dark, and she is an abby, so I didn't bother trying to visualize it. Yesterday morning, I checked Yeti and the lump is actually a scratch or bite. It is approximately 5mm long, doesn't appear infected, and Yeti doesn't vocally protest me touching it, but she will move away. This morning, it looks exactly the same. Her fur is white and there is no blood, so it is fairly superficial.

Is there anything I should put on the cut? I tried searching, but not surprisingly, "cut" and "bite" return countless results. I won't be separating them, as things have been great with the three of them (and Buddy is now inseparable from Grizzly, his apparent soul mate), but just wanted to make sure Yeti heals up fine.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No, no need to put anything on it. Just make sure it doesn't swell or have any discharge, in which case it would then need a vet visit and antibiotics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.