Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello everyone

pepperpig

Cavy Slave
hello to you all, so glad i have found this forum , and have spent a long time this afternoon reading up on the cube and coroplast cages, we have one boar piggy, ( well he is my daughters !) and tomorrow we are going to get another male,and i am hoping with careful introduction they will be fine together, our one did live with another male who saddly died, we are going to set up an enormous cage,like the ones i have seen on here, and once done will make the introduction, as the cage will be new to both of them, i am hoping it will help take the focus off of each other! i am so excited about tomorrow, i have always loved piggies, and am hoping if this goes well to maybe introduce a third! any advice or comments gratefully recieved!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! We'd love to see a picture of your piggy.

You may want to read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm -- be sure to read all the way to the bottom for information about introductions.

We're a pro-rescue, pro-adoption forum, and hope that you're planning to get your new pig somewhere that isn't from a retail store. If you're having trouble finding one to rescue, as opposed to purchase, post your location here and someone can possibly help you locate one.

Again, welcome.

pepperpig

Cavy Slave
yes i have very carefully read through this information, we live in the uk, i have looked at rescues, but the advice i have been given is to get a young male,so i have found somebody with piglets, not a store, but a private house, but if this works, i am hoping to get a speyed female to add to them, if not already neutered , i would have her done myself, so a rescue would be an option then.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome! So glad you are enjoying all of the great info! Just one piece of info that may help. It is best when getting a new piggie to quarantine for three weeks. Just in case there is any sickness it will show up in the three weeks.
As an example, before I knew about piggies, I bought one from a pet store and he had lice. So guess what? All of my other piggies got lice. I had to treat them all.

I have paired many boars together. The young to old has worked best for me. It isn't a have to. I have also found a submissive to an aggressive boar about the same age has worked also. Sometimes shelters will let you bring in your boar to help find a friend. Good luck in finding your boar a best friend.

Again most welcome!

Last edited:

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Just a warning - you cannot add a spayed female to a pair of boars - there will be no end to their fighting over her. Her being spayed will not reduce her attractiveness to them even a little. Neither would neutering the boys help.

pepperpig

Cavy Slave
thankyou both for your help and advice, has anyone on here successfully housed three boars together? i would really like three piggies and we have now brought our beautiful new little boy home, i will try to add photos when i have worked out how! he is obviously not in with our original boy as i will quarantine him, but the lady has his brother left, and i would love to go and get him! if they have enough room can it work?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.