Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A History of 10 Pigs

xoMadi

Cavy Slave
I was once a member of this forum in the past but my account doesn't seem to exist anymore, somehow. I've owned a total of 10 guinea pigs, six of which are current alive.
I suppose I should introduce the guinea pigs I currently have. It started with two females named January and Xena. I was alarmed to find that a couple months after bringing January home, she kept growing and growing and I eventually figured that she was pregnant. About a month ago, she gave birth to four babies. Three are boys and one is a girl. So all together, I have January, Xena, Haven, London, Draven and Magnus. I have a 2x4 cage which I just divided in half (temporarily) a few hours ago. I plan on building another 2x4 to house my boys. I was under the impression that you were supposed to separate the males from the females when they reached 6 weeks old. I did some research and found out that it was actually three weeks. The babies are a month old and had all been together the whole time. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, hoping none of them are pregnant.

A History of 10 PigsA History of 10 PigsA History of 10 Pigs

Welcome to the forum, both past and present! Your piggies are just gorgous! I am hoping with you that you don't have numerous pregnancies. It is true the males must be taken away from mother and sisters at 3 weeks.
As you know this is a great place for info. I noticed that your pigs appear to be on ceder chips. Ceder and undried pine can cause breathing problems due to the smell. Just a heads up on that.
Keep us posted with your piggies progress. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you very much! I'm definitely hoping that none of them are pregnant again. I'm not sure how I'd be able to manage all of them. There's also the factor of how there are so many homeless pigs in shelters out there who don't need the competition. As for the bedding, that's a mistake of my father's. We use pine bedding and I'm currently investigating fleece as an alternative.

Pine is okay if it's dried, like aspen. It does not have the smell of pine that can hurt your babies. Carefresh, is like dried paper, but can be expensive. Fleece, is what most use.
You can look up in the search mode for fleece and carefresh, or under the bedding thread on the main forum page for both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.