Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing my family

Insanemomof3

Cavy Slave
My husband and I just added two new guinea pigs to our home. I thought I had done enough research on them before I got them, but now feel unsure. I guess that's the same feeling when any new helpless baby comes into the household! We were told we had to boys, but when we got them home I felt they looked different. I immediately made a vet appt for help only to learn our girl and boy had a skin infection from mites, and possibly ring worm. Rosie our rusty colored girl, has an amazing personality. Our pigs were around 4-5 weeks old when we bought them home, this was a vets guess. But she eagerly comes to our hands for veggies. Chewbacca, (chewy) our midnight black boy is more timid and has bitten us few times. We were unprepared for the unexpected immediate expense of these pigs. For now Rosie is housed alone in an XL store bought cage. Chewy in a make shift cage until he reaches a safe weight to be neutered. It was hard on them to be separated, they protested for a few nights. I know it's for the best. I am concerned that in the time before we got them as well as until we were told their sex she may have gotten preg. I don't see any signs for reason to worry right now. But my research says it is possible. For their first few weeks here we basically reached in the cage took them out to medicate them and that was it. I was very concerned about my entire family catching ring worm. I didn't feel they had time to get used to us or settle before we were grabbing at them in their new home. Now however I've tried to just reach my hand in to feed and for them to smell. I havent wanted to reach and pick up. I wanted them to feel safer with us and not run away. But my little ones reach their hands in and the pigs are biting their fingers. I'm not sure how to get the pigs to smell them and get used to them without biting them. I'm also seeing some milky urine which I think means I'm giving them touch calcium. So I could use some help with their diets too. Thank you for reading all thi

Last edited:
Welcome! It sounds like you have been researching and learning about your new babies. There is so much here to read for all of the care your babies need.
1. Your Rosie could be pregnant. Just keep a watch on her. You could weigh her daily and see if she is putting on wt.
Both pigs being under 6 mths old need extra calcium so alfalfa hay or alfalfa hay could be added to their diet.
2. They could be biting out of pain or they are afraid. Pigs are not usually biters. With mites their skin is itchy, irritated and painful. So they bite out of pain. Pigs are prey animals and by instinct try to run away. Being they have mites they may have associated being picked up with pain. so in fear when a hand reaches in they are biting.
You are doing the right thing by putting your hand in resting it, talking to them and letting them know you are a good thing. You could give them lap time too so they can be stroked and loved. Your children could give lap time so they can bond with each other. The more love and gentle handling they have they will come around. It just takes time. Once they are feeling better you should see a difference.
3. Ly &pigs has an awesome diet list as a sticky thread in the diet section. It will tell you what they can eat and when.
They need a good pellet. KM, Oxbow, or Mazuri plain pellet are the best. KM and Oxbow can be ordered online. Mazuri, purina foods makes and it can be found in feed stores. Veggies everyday, fruit several times a week. Unlimited grass hay (alfalfa, timothy or a mix can be given as they are under 6 mths old.) and fresh water daily. No vit c tablets in the water.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions. Would love to see pictures. Again welcome.

I have been feeding the ox bow pellets. I started them on Timothy hay before I realized they probably should be on alfalfa hay. They won't eat the alfalfa. So I give them unlimited Timothy hay. I give them alternatives of green bell pepper, green beans, carrots, apples. I think I was feeding apples to often, so I've cut back.Can you point me in the direction of a link for bathing and what to use? I've been reading links on here all day, lots of great info! Thanks.

GP's really do not need to be bathed. They are very clean. A bath maybe every 6 months. Their skin is very sensitive. If you bathe kitten shampoo or bunny shampoo can be used. Giving a bath with mites can irritate the situation even more.
Carrots if it is small can be given daily. apples several times a week. Apples have an acid that can make their mouths sore.
They can have lettece daily. Any type but iceberg. Cilantro is daily also. Again, Ly's chart is unbeatable as to all fruits and veggies.

I'm so glad to hear they dont need bathed! I was worried about that. They are on their shot of ivermectin. I'm very hopeful they will be healed completely soon. They already feel beter to me. I will definitely check out the feeding chart you mentioned. Thank you.

WELCOME Insanemomof3 ! :)

Here is Ly's sample veggie menu for a week : https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

And here is Ly's nutrition chart and poisonous plants list : https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

From what I have learned, a good starting diet would be : 2 different types of lettuces (no iceburg-causes diarrhea, even death !), cilantro, and green peppers. Then introduce a new food every 4 days or so ( to make sure they are tolerating and eating), until they are soon enjoying a variety of veggies and fruits. Some veggies, like broccoli and cauliflower are a very gassy veggie, and need to be given slowly and cautiously or your piggie could get bloat..which can be life threatening. Oh, and fruits are to be given sparingly, because they are high in sugar/empty calories. Carrots, although a veggie, is also to be given in small amounts, for the same reason. So as you can see, it is more than worth your while, to check out Ly's nutrition charts, as she is our "Nutritionist Expert" on here.:) Again welcome my friend, to our little piggie community !

P.S. What medication did your Vet prescribe for the mites infestation ? Are they getting better ? Do they have ringworm too ?

Our vet gave them ivermectin in shot form, three dose spaced one week apart. She gave us baytril for the infection. We were certain it was also ring worm so treated their skin with OTC lotromin. This cleared up the spots fast and it seemed to make them feel so much better. However when the 10 waiting period was over the skin scraping didn't grow ring worm. They seem very healthy now. I have to say, when we got them they sound like they should have looked awful with fur missing but they didn't. There was one very tiny scaly spot on chewy's nose and we were told maybe the pigs had gotten in a fight. There were five pigs together in varying sizes. It was almost directly as soon as they were home their fur started showing bare spots. They are very healthy now. Chewy was 196gms last week and Rosie was 206 gms. Our vet said they gained 1/3 their weight in a week. I think their fur feels a lot better too.

I'm going to guess that Chewie stops biting soon. From what I understand mites makes them realy jumpy. Smoky had mites (for a while since neither the vet nor I picked up on it the first few times I had him in - he's a Trex and his fur hides EVERYTHING) finally we just treatedhim with ivermectin, and boy did he get more friendly after that.:love:

I'm very excited that after a month of putting my hands slowly into the cage and hand feeding veggies this morning Rose seemed not afraid of my hand at all! She easily let me herd her into the corner and puck her up! Usually it's lots of piggy noises and running like lightening to escape me! I can't wait until Chewy does this too. They gained 60 grams this past week and are healthy. We've scheduled chewy to be neutered in Nov. Our C&C cage is almost built and they will be together again soon. Our vet also assures us Rose is not preg from being with the boys in the pet store! Everything is falling right into place.

I am so happy for you ! :) Man.. I sure love hearing news like this, it always puts a big smile on my face. I am also so excited for you as your bond with them is getting closer and closer each day ! I know the first time I saw my baby Buttercup's eyes close in sleep in my arms, with her body and feet stretched out in a curl behind her....I knew she finally, after 6 1/2 months, she fully trusted and loved me. Buttercup is 9 months 1 week old.

Though I have had my other baby Cuddles a little longer than Buttercup, I have yet to earn her complete trust, and after this many months of trying...realize that may never really happen. I just need to accept her as she is, and though she still will nip me from time to time, I love her for all the ways in which she is special. Like...she is super smart. She notices everything. Cuddles REALLY shows how much she appreciates a clean environment, and especially because each week I make home-made toys and items for them to enjoy for that week ( expecting most to be destroyed or too yucky to use for another week) and she wheeks and investigates every nook and cranny and this is when Cuddles popcorns the most.

Cuddles doesn't popcorn that much, but she sure does upon a newly cleaned organized cage !! It's a thrill to watch her enjoyment. She really LOVES her food...moreso than her cagemate Buttercup. She goes nuts for things, like parsley...and grapes..and certain hays and grasses. She has a reserved yet, very gentle soul...you can just tell...anyone would be able to tell this about my dear Cuddles. So...she might not care that much for humans, or for me...but she is uniquely beautiful to me, all the same !! ❤️

P.S. I am SO relieved for you..that Rosie is not pregnant ! Whew, what a relief !:melodrama

Last edited:
I finally got my avatar pic up! The rusty one is Rosie, and the black one is Chewy.
I think that Chewy sometimes acts like he doesn't like being a "pet". He likes to do things on his own terms. I let him pull the veggies from my hand and drag them into his hideout and eat them. Rose will eat them from hand, and my hand too!
I hope someday he comes around. I have to wait four more days until the bottom I ordered for my new C&C cage comes then I will post of pic of their new home. I can't wait for the day they are together. I am sure they are more anxious then I am. Thank you for all the wonderful posts and advice I have gotten on here. I know I had made many mistakes before finding this website. I also know my piggies are having a much better healthier life with the advice and changes we have made.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.