Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Favorite material for under fleece?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I have used fleece diligently for a year or so now, and I really love it. I save money on bedding, provide my guinea pigs with a soft and comfy floor to their cage, and don't have to deal with shavings sticking to every surface of the house. It's great!

I'm having trouble finding the best absorbent material for under fleece. I've used towels, which are okay as far as absorbency. The kicker is that they begin to smell quite soon. Currently, I have liners I made with fleece and UHaul blanket, which are great -- for now. I'm looking into better options for the future, however. What do you like the best to put under fleece as far as absorbency and odor control go? What about Zorb?

Thanks for any replies!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd be interested in knowing about zorb, too. I'm disappointed with the Uhaul pads. Every time I wash them, there's a lot of lint in the dryer and when I hold them up to the light, I can see holes in the pads. They haven't worn well at all. I bought another pack with no difference from the others.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I have both zorb and uhaul pads. I think they both work equally well. The uhaul pads are much cheaper though.

I've washed my uhaul pad to the point where there are no more lint in my dryer, only piggy hair in the lint trap. I thought of sewing the uhaul pads to fleece, but still no time. It works well for now.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have two fleece pads - fleece sewn over mattress pads. Works well, but I put extra towels under the corners as the pigs sometimes pee over the edge into the coroplast corner. I have found that if I put squares of fleece over small towels in corners or under hideys I can whisk those away and have a very clean cage. I just keep those for another few days until I am ready to do a "big" wash of the pad. If I am expecting company, I put a lot of those out and take them out just before company arrives for a very fresh looking cage. For hay, I love baby bassinet/pack-and-play sheets over a towel over a Rubbermaid lid. I have several sets of those sheets and they clean easy and are super easy to shake the hay off ! You could use a regular square of an old sheet and fold it under the lid. Putting the sheet over a puppy pad is good, too. I prefer to use things that I can wash and not fill the landfills with the puppy pads, but they do work well for odor.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
For underneath my fleece I use disposable puppy training pads. They are really absorbant and they don"t smell at all even when I change all the fleece and pads once a week.I use just the pads in my kitchen and it works great!! I have also use pooch pads which are washable puppy pads under my fleece. They have a soft layer on top,an absorbant layer underneath that and then a waterproof layer on the bottom. The only problem I have with these is there not very durable. The waterproof layer is really thin and had some holes in it after awhile and the leaked a little bit so the absorbant layer isn't as absorbant as I would like. They are very soft and comfy so I use them in their loft under the fleece which work fine because they don't pee up there very much at all.The pooch pads also make great ramp pads.I've had the best luck with the disposable puppy pads. Hope this helps:)

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I thought of this a while back, and I'm not sure if it would work (i.e. pigs ingesting it) but what if you were to take one of those ShamWow towels and put it under the fleece? Just a thought.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sham Wows should not be put in the dryer because they shrink up and lose their shape. Guinea pigs will eat them if they can get to them. They're really thin so one layer isn't enough. I used them for awhile but found towels to work much better.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I think ShamWows only absorb when wet, right?

I was thinking about doing a layer of Zorb and a layer of terry cloth, surrounded by fleece. So it would be fleece-Zorb-terry cloth-fleece (top to bottom, sewn into a liner). Would that work very well?

3littlewheekers

Cavy Slave
Ive heard great things about zorb. I can't find it anywhere in my area so I might order it and have it shipped. I've heard you need to layer it because it comes apart in the wash if you don't. I'm trying mattress pads... I'll let everyone know how I like them :)

3littlewheekers

Cavy Slave
Just to update: I still haven't tried Zorb yet, but I'm on my third day of two layers of uhaul blankets with fleece... It's working great and they were so cheap!

mrs.parker83

Cavy Slave
How do you get your hands on UHaul blankets? Can those be purchased online??

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I personally put a U-hall pad under my fleece and it works fine, I've got a couple of them for back-ups. Admittedly, I haven't changed the current one for quite a while (its probably pushing a month o_o now that I think of it, I change the fleece weekly though), however thats because its still almost completely clean! I have a "litter box" on the one side of the cage (the largest, shortest storage container I could find with about an inch of pine/aspen shavings) where I keep their food bowl and hay (which I keep in a corner small animal litter box that has a similar layer of shavings in the bottom). They do the majority of the bathroom duties in the box which I clean a couple times a day.

Under their houses I place old reusable cloth diapers and they work wonders! I can shake them out to get rid of the poop and they absorb pretty much all of the urine that may result from piggies accidents and scent marking (I've got 3 boars). I generally change them twice a day, or whenever I notice they've been actually soiled (an actual pee spot, not just some butt rubbing). They absorb deep enough into themselves that the piggies aren't sitting on cold wet blankets, but it also keeps the urine from ever reaching the u-haul pad, its completely clean under even under the houses. Just throw them into the laundry with a little bleach or vinegar (they're white so its easy to tell when they're dirty but also easy to de-stain).

Another nice little thing is I've put two terra-cotta clay rectangular flowerpots in the cage so that they can more easily jump into the box (they don't need them, but it helps and they're multipurpose). The rough surface that they're constantly using does an amazing job of keeping their front nails trimmed, I still clip the back ones, but the front are kept at like a perfect length, very convenient.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I plan to use puppy pads :)

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
I currently use puppy pads! Its great aside from the cost... 150 of them costs $40 at my pet store. I have 3 cages - 2(5x2) and 1(6x2) NOT cost affective but its perfect when it comes to absorption.
I just order some cage liner with triple layers... Hope that will do it and I can stop using the we we pads. Expensive and not environmentally friendly

Cinpepmeg

Cavy Slave
I use puppy pads under my fleece but I want to get something environmentally friendly soon. The puppy pads are working great for now though, I lay them out over top of a shower curtain and there is no smell for up to at least five days from my 3 girls!

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Oh- I used to have a layer of Polyester Rayon (material)-Cheap under my fleece and it worked wonders. No smell for a week but then I had issues when washing it... It started coming apart... After awhile I would put the rayon inside a delicate bag and that helped.
Puppy pads rock- but again my cages are too big and I need 6(5x2) and 8(6x2) as I need to make sure the corners are protected... That's a total of 20 each week. lol my piggies need to get a job~!

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
I use a double layer of Zorb under the fleece, and below the Zorb I use a waterproof crib pad. The Zorb is so absorbent that no liquid has ever reached the crib pad! Good luck! :)

Kathy Collins

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of using hemp unbleached baby diapers. I have them left from my son when he was younger. They are thick and super absorbent? Anyone tried anything like this?

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
The thing you have to understand about mattress pads/zorb is that it WICKS. By putting terry cloth, towels etc under the fleece and or mattress pads, your allowing the pee to soak into the towel instead of wicking into the mattress pad. The towels, terrycloth etc. just let the pee sit there and stay wet and stinky. When they pee on the mattress pad, it wicks the pee away and it will dry... it is in the high pee areas that they repeatedly pee in that will stay wet and get stinky. So by putting a fleece pad over those areas, you can change out the pad more often than having to do a whole cage change. You only want one layer of fleece too, other wise you are defeating the purpose of wicking the urine thru the fleece into the next layer.
I've tried Zorb and mattress pads. The mattress pads are cheaper and easier to work with as far as sewing. Now is the time to get your mattress pads! When the stores put the back to school/college sheets and stuff on clearance, buy the XL twin mattress pads. I stocked up last year. They went as low as $4 at Target.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.