Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New from Washington - A big hello from AliKH

AliKH

Cavy Slave
:D Hello, I'm Ali! The K & H are for my middle and last name.

I've been lurking this site for about a month before I joined a few days back to ask a question. Currently I have 4x2 cage with a 1x3 add-on for the kitchen & bedroom area. I'm using the towel and fleece method for the add-on and pine bedding for the bottom.

At the moment I dont have any piggy's for the cage but should be getting a female pair later today. I'm adopting them from a nice lady who has to many. I'll post picture after they have settled in to there new home.

I've read you aren't suppose to keep them (pigs) in bedroom but that's where I've got my cage. I keep the large room well lite, ventilated, and keep a temperature gauge in it. I've got plenty of room for floor time and will be blocking off the space under the bed & TV with more grids.

I will be keeping the door open most of the time to lent in new air but will be keeping a baby gate up to keep our 18 year old dog out of my bedroom. :D His name is Rascal, hes a cockier spaniel that sleeps a lot because hes blind in both eyes. He was my mothers day gift to my mom about 5 years ago.

I'm a 19 years old who still lives with her parents. I'm going back to high school this coming Autumn to diploma and currently work as amateur animal photographer.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi, Ali, Welcome! You're lucky living in WA. The shipping cost for Kleenmama hay and pellets should be very affordable for you....

AliKH

Cavy Slave
Hi Kelsie & Pinky :)

Angel (white, brown & black) and Charlotte (brown, black, & white) were dropped off around 10:30 am. I'm letting them settle in at the moment and everyone took a nap (including me)

They were pretty much fine until their old keeper/owner left. they were pretty happy playing, making noise and having fun but I'm sure they're just scared at the moment and will be a while before they start warming up to me. I gave them guinea pig food and that seemed to warm Charlotte up to me a bit but not by much.
Any safe tips I could use to help it a long?

This the website for ordering the (broken link removed). If not could you post a link for it. I heard & read I should use that kind of hay and just the pellets were better for them the petstore guinea pig food but was unsure where to order it from/buy it from.

(pictures are the ones the last keeper/owner sent me)
(Added picture of Rascal in case anyone wants to see him. Photo was taken about 2 months ago. Had just finished drying him after his bath. Hes currently has short hair)

Edit: :p Charlotte is the mostly white, brown and black and angel is the mostly brown, black, and little bit of white. I mixed up the names on the photos.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Your guinea pigs are beautiful. You have the right site for Kleenmama's Hayloft. If your guinea pigs are over 6 months, get timothy pellets.

AliKH

Cavy Slave
Thanks for answering pinky & Kelsie, I took a nap again so it took me a while to respond.

I have no idea how old the pigs are but I have this feeling its an older female 1 1/2 - 3 year old with a younger female from wend to 1 1/2 year pair. Charlotte is much smaller then Angel so I have this feeling she younger then larger one. I could be wrong.

Before these two I had 5 pigs but I was around 10 - 13 years old then and dont remember much except the very small cages we keeped them in and *helping* my mother clean said cages. I know better now then I did then that goodness but I can't help but feel bad for the cages and food we feed them. :( We did rescue 3 of them from very bad homes but I cant help but feel like they could have had a better home then what we gave them. I unfortunately can't change the past but I can improve the future.

Our first Guinea pig Teral was nearly feed to a snake while his owner was drunk, his friend took him and he was our neighbor. He took me fishing for my first time too. Using non-harmful hooks or so he told me, I didn't catch anything luckily. Our second one we bought from pet-co who was named coco and was Teral's litter & cage mate.

Our third was Callie, who we got from the lab teacher in B200 after we took our first two to my middle school for my classmates to see. It was for project in lab to label the different bone parts of a guinea pig. They were brought as an example of how a live one moves.

Fourth was supposed to be a female named cream who we bought but from Farmland in the next town over. I hate this place, its one of those gross feed stores that also sell pets & fish. I'm very surprised the pound hasn't closed them down. Anyways she turned out male, this how and why I learned to sex guinea pigs.

All these four belonged to my mother but I help with the care, Last but not lest though was my baby girl cinnamon who I got from a pet hoarder who lived in a studio apartment with her father. She had 1 guinea pig (my girl), 2 to 4 snakes, 2 ferrets, a kitten, and a puppy.

The ferrets her father put in our custody because he couldn't take the very sick one to the vet. The male had to be put down by our vet because he was to sick to save and we found a recuse that deals only with ferrets to help us re-home the female to a proper home, we fostered her while they look for a family. My friend was *helped* with her hoarding problem. Shes doing really good and still sees someone for help but at lest she only has 1 cat, 1 dog, and pair of rats, 4 animals in total.

I'm very sad to admit this but I breed cinnamon 1 time. D: I know this a huge no no now but at the time I never realized how many compilations there were or that over population problem. We didn't have internet at the time we got them or when she gave birth. I got really lucky because cinnamon was over 8 months old when we got her. I advice away from breeding if someone asks me now.

Both mom and the 2 baby's were fine and in healthy condition acarding to our vet. I had just checked on her about 45 mins before she gave birth and was very shocked to hear from my dad in an amused tone "Look hamsters!"

I didn't know baby pigs were born fuzzy. I was able to hold the baby boy and girl she had given birth to that same day and she didn't even mind. To put it simple everyone was fixed very soon after even the baby's once they were old enough and I re-home the baby twins to friend who I still talk to, that had them until they passed a few year ago.

I'm very sad to say their daddy never got to meet them because he passed a week before they were born. My mother never really got over the death of Teral but neither did his brother Coco.

My father and I took care of them mostly after that point and even after putting cinnamon with Coco we lost him a few weeks after that. I took both cinnamon and Coco's body to the vet at this point because I was worried we had something going around and he said nothing was wrong with either of them. I think he died of a broken heart but I've always been a bit of a romantic :D

Anyways enough about the past, I had the stuff scared out of me while taking a nap. I had a 2x4 cage with 1x4 add-on, I woke up to Charlotte swilling her head off because something had scared both of them up the ramp at the same time and they had gotten stuck on each-other.

My ramp was two grids square folded (so they had a flooring, siding above and on 1 side) then zip tied them together, covered with coroplast and had craft sticks (Ice-cream sticks) hot glued on for traction.

To put it simple after getting them out of the ramp, I took off the second floor. Maybe it was how I did my ramp but I do not recommend having a connected second floor. BTW I figured out I dont have climbers but have clutters, the girls were more then happy to have me rescue them but I would have preferred them warming up to me the good, safe, old fashion way. Is it okay to put fleece over pine bedding and have it absorbed the piggy pea?

And yes I love how even though they've gone blind the dog doesn't seem to mind one bit, except for when you've got two dogs blind in only 1 eye and they brush agents each other. A few year bad we were going to adopt another dog of the same color and breed who was blind in the other eye then ours.

They were fine until the above happen and they got in a growling match and nearly took off the male rescuer hand. We saw the posting and explain we had a dog just like that and the rescue wanted to have an in home visit to see how the dogs did together.

Really long post, I'm sorry :tearsofjo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.