Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick breathing problem and not eatting alot

angelbaby186

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig his 1 year old and ever since i got him his had a breathing problem like when he runs his heat races he breaths heavaly. when his calm he makes wesaling noise from his nose is it possable he has asmha or is it something really bad? also i noties has dosnt eat much and dosnt gain wait is it an eatting disorder or maybe coz of his breathing? iv done alot of research but dont kno for sure my vet coast alot of mony and my mom said my pet piggy is not worth $600 to get fixed. my other one had a none cancers tumer on his back that coasted the $600 so kno she dosnt care about the other ones health. she said his fine and not skinny yet he has not gained wait since his grown up and not eatting much. i have another guinea pig there both boys they dont fight but sometimes do so i cant have them in same cage and my room is small so i cant have jessy the small and sick one in my room could him not eatting be depression from not seeing his bf so to speak or is it his breathing or could it be something worse?
the ppl at the pet store never let me look at my pets the sold me sick guinea pigs it was up to me to make then better. the one is on a diet he seems to eat to much well the other dosnt eat. i kno my story is confussing but can anyone help me like any tips on what to do or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear your piggie is having a rough time.

This is one of the reasons for cautionary tales against buying in pet stores. A lot of the time you will get a sick animal. If I understand your post correctly, you got him with a breathing problem. I would recommend returning him. You pouring out money for a sick animal from the beginning really doesn't make much sense. Animals bred back to back and inbred animals will often have physical problems that cannot be fixed.
If you don't have money for a vet, and you are unwilling or unable to return them from where you got them, then the best you can do is keep them warm, dry, comfortable, and make sure they have access to food and water.
Here is a section on GuineaLynx on heart problems.

< https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html >

Only a vet could diagnose a heart problem for sure.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I disagree, SOrceress. Taking the guinea pig back to the store would be a death sentence. Returned sick pigs are often put in the back room to die slowly.

He needs a vet visit. I'm sorry if you don't have the money, but when you take on a pet you are responsible for making sure he has everything he needs. Right now he needs to see a vet. Perhaps you can get the pet store to reimburse you for the vet bill, but either way it's your responsibility to make sure you take him. If you can't afford it, perhaps you can surrender the pig to the vet. Or contact any guinea pig rescues in your area to see if they will take him and get him the needed veterinary care.

If you are still unable or unwilling to take him to the vet and can't find someone who can, at the very least take him in to be humanely euthanized. It is much preferable to slowly dying.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I am so glad that someone answered your post angelbaby186, because I honestly had a tough time reading it honey. ( I am old, and un-accustomed to chat speech)

I agree with foggycreekcavy completely. Do NOT take him back to the pet store to slowly die of starvation and most likely in pain too ! Please don't do that. I would get my money back though, for sure.

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
One of the only ways to stop a pet store from offering more pigs is to make sure they do not make money off the deal. They will start taking better care of their stock when they learn they cannot foist pigs off on ill prepared customers.
Case in point: a small pet store I came across had guinea pigs out in the back of their store this winter. They had pellets but no vegetables and their water was severely fouled. When I learned from people who had bought pigs from them that they had pneumonia, I urged them to return the pigs to the store. They did bring them back and subsequently received their money back.
I visited the same store four days ago and noticed that they had only four pigs, inside, separated, with appropriate food and bottled water. The owner seemed a bit shamefaced when I quizzed him on the change. He said he had to return at least $200 dollars worth of money to people who returned sick animals and determined he would only keep four to six pigs at a time from then on.
The reason for taking the pig TO the store is to prove that the guinea pig is sick or alternatively providing a vet record that the animal was sick from the time they were brought home. Whether the store decides to keep the pig or allow the pig to remain with the owner and return the money is up to store policy and management decisions between the customer and the store.
In this case Angel does not have the money to take the pig to a vet. She needs to take the pig to the store and show them the animal is sick and is not worth the money paid. The store must not be allowed to make money off this. If Angel goes to get another animal from this store, the same thing will probably occur.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
"One of the only ways to stop a pet store from offering more pigs is to make sure they do not make money off the deal. They will start taking better care of their stock when they learn they cannot foist pigs off on ill prepared customers."

You make a good valid point SOrceressO.

I am still learning all the facts with regards to pet stores/backyard breeding/mills and though I think your point has merit, and seems like a more "proactive" approach to making a change for the better ( vs. sitting on one's hands fuming and complaining or leaving notes on doors) is it realistic ? Isn't the ultimate goal to stop pet stores from selling exotic pets, altogether ?

Though I am glad to hear of one manager's change, in the larger picture, is it realistic to expect the same from most large chain pet stores which care most about the easiest quickest way to make a profit ?

Since angelbaby186 has had him a year or so she is probably very attached to him and I would not trust a pet store- not only with an older ( and less sale value) piggie but a sick one !

I would think a good decent guinea pig rescue would be a much better place, with a better chance at getting a good home. Some people prefer to adopt older piggies over young ones. Though this piggie sounds very sick and might not make it as it is, without immediate vet help and care.

"If Angel goes to get another animal from this store, the same thing will probably occur."

Hopefully the consequences of all this will be enough, that Angel will not only WAIT until she is better financially prepared, but will ADOPT or RESCUE a piggie next time around !

Last edited:

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
I know most big box pet stores have a policy to pay the veterinary bill if your small animal needs veterinary care in the first 2-4 weeks after taking it home, depending on the store. I had this happen to me with a ferret. I had to take it to the store and they arranged me an appointment with a vet of their choosing, and gave me some paper to take there so I didn't have to pay. They don't advertise that they do that but if you read the fine print on the paperwork they give you when you get your pet, it says something about a health guarantee.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.