Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!!! noobie here :D

gothheart

Cavy Slave
my name is jennah and i just got 2 guinea pigs i named them milo and otis lol i have got a cage for them and timmothy hay and treats and beding plzz tell me wat els i need for them they are both boys and get along great!!! i also have the food lol lol

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the piggies!! I agree to PooTrishy, just check out this site and you will find loads of stuff that will help you and you piggies!! Good luck

PooTrishy

Cavy Slave
oh, an welcome =) haha

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

What brand of food are you feeding? And what exactly are you feeding treat-wise? Do you have a C&C cage, and if so, what size?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I know this has been mentioned but size is very important with boys. If the cage isn't large enough they can start fighting when they hit puberty. I assume are are babies.

Also lots of hay and veggies are very important. Lettuces, except iceberg, bell pepper, cilantro and other greens daily.

gothheart

Cavy Slave
the food is All Living Things™ Guinea Pig Daily Diet for food and for the cage it is
All Living Things™ Deluxe Guinea Pig Starter Kit the treats come with the cage
the treats come with this

GuineaMom

Cavy Slave
I looked up the food you are feeding, and it doesn't look very good. There are seeds and colored bits in it, which aren't good for Guinea Pigs. They just need straight up pellets. I would recommend Oxbow (Which you can find in pet stores) or Kleenmamas (Which you would need to buy online). That cage also seems a bit small for 2 Guinea Pigs, so you may want to consider a bigger one, perhaps look into C&C cages.

Other than that, congratulations on your 2 piggies and enjoy the forums (There is lots of useful information here)! lol

gothheart

Cavy Slave
my mom wont let me get a bigger cage she said they will be fine but i dont think shes right and they dont fight at all how could i exspand the cage

GuineaMom

Cavy Slave
I don't know how you could expand a pet store cage, I would say just make a C&C cage. Is your mom worried about a bigger cage because of the added cost? Just tell her that they are pretty cheap if you make it yourself. If she is worried about space, then tell her you will rearrange your room (or whatever room you are using for them) to make a space for them. Maybe even show her this forum so she can learn about why they need a bigger one.

They may not be fighting yet, but there is a good chance of it happening in a small pet store cage. They need room to get away from each other now and then so they don't end up fighting.

gothheart

Cavy Slave
ok thanks i will show her this and i will rearang my room so i can fit the c&c cage so wat els should i have or d ofor them

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new pigs ! You will find lots of good info and advice on this site !

Those of us in the eastern U.S. find Sweetmeadow Farm pellets to have very reasonable shipping. (broken link removed)

If you cannot order online, then go with Oxbow, which is sold in stores.

gothheart

Cavy Slave
ok so wat now

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Haha, eager to get more info out of us. ;) Next you should post pictures!! I think the basics have been covered, bigger cage, fresh vegetables daily, and a good brand of hay and pellets. oh, how old are your piggies?? If they are under six months they need some alfalfa in their diet, either through alfalfa hay or alfalfa based pellets.

gothheart

Cavy Slave
not shure lol how can u tell how old they are ????

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Did you get them from a pet store as babies? How long have you had them?

gothheart

Cavy Slave
i got them from a pet store yes and had no idea wat was going on with the petstores now i do and never will get them from there agen and i have had them for 4 weeks

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
When they are around 5 months they hit puberty and might start fighting if the cage is too small. If your mother wants you to keep using the cage because of the money she spent, you can add cubes and coroplast and leave the cage door open. Some people use both but they definatly need more room. Try living in your bathroom all the time.

I bet they are adorable boys though. Can you put pictures up?

Last edited:

gothheart

Cavy Slave
i have pics up lol

Keekers

Cavy Slave
The cage they're in looks like a bird cage. Has your Mom agreed to a C&C cage yet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.