Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Is this normal?

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Hello, So my question is a couple of my guinea pigs have crusties and some eye gunk. Them seem to be just fine though, haven't lost any weight, no sneezing or coughing, still run around happily, eat and drink. Are they like human and that is just stuff that is naturally being flushed out of their eye? It doesn't seem so bug them, I just haven't noticed it before.

piggiefreak

Cavy Gazer
What kind of bedding do you use? or do you use fleece? because if your use a bedding like kiln dried pine shavings, aspen shavings or carefresh then I might be the dust from the bedding. most types of bedding has dust and it can irritate your guinea pigs eyes. If you use bedding then I would suggest switching to fleece or puppy pads. Another option would be to use eco bedding which is a totally dust free bedding made for small animals who have irritations to dust. Hope tis helps

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
No, usually it is not normal. It's hard to know, without being able to actually "see" your piggie and I am no vet, but here is a link that you might want to check out. It sounds to me, like it could be a URI. I would call your vet right away, and take your piggie in as soon as possible, if it were me. However here is the link below for you:

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#discharge

Please know that piggie with URI's can go downhill very quickly. Suddenly they seem fine, and then when the symptoms get too much for them to hide them, it is often too late my friend. So, please call your vet, and please take them in as soon as possible ! Just MY opinion though.

P.S. Just wanted to let you know that piggies do have a white milky type fluid that comes from their eyes which they use to wash their face with and such, but since you said "crusty eyes" that made me think "URI".

Last edited:

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
It doesn't look that bad. Yeah, Them have had URI and i'm afraid of them getting it again. :/ It doesn't look anything like it did when they had URI.

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Oh, I forgot, Yes I do use fleece.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Me, My kids, my cat and my guinea pigs get "sleep" in their eyes occasionally. They usually clean it out themselves but if I am holding them and they have a bit I just wipe it off. It might be a little left over "cleaning solution" that their eyes excreete when they clean their faces. Mine get it maybe once a month or less. As long as its not green, brown, red, yellow (should be whiteish or clear) and they are keeping weight on and behaving normally I would just keep a close eye on it!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's very unusual for guinea pigs to have any crust showing. Pigs that don't feel well don't feel like grooming, and so the grooming fluid that they normally wipe away just sits there and dries, hence the crusty eyes.

Do you weigh your pigs? If not, it's a good idea to start today. If you do, have they lost any weight?

jayceestar27

Cavy Slave
Its just like clear goop like stuff. It isn't a lot and Zero lets me wipe it off and doesn't seem to mind. Well he is mad at me because I put him in his own cage because he and Jace got in a fight about two weeks ago and I had to take Jace to the vet.
Yes, I weigh all my pigs weekly and no one has lost any weight and he still loves to cuddle and talk with me. This leads me to believe he is fine, just not cleaning himself as much. But I am a crazy worry wart when it comes to all of my pigs. I took Zero to the vet a while back because he had a tiny scratch on his nose and I automatically thought it was ringworm. Probably just paranoid over nothing. I will continue to watch it and weigh him. Thank you for all of your help. If you have any more advice i'd love to hear it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.