Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

An official Introduction

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
I have posted a few questions already but today we just got home with our pigs. They seem pretty freaked out but they are eating but mostly just huddleing together. They don't know what to think of the box I put in as a hidey and they haven't really ventured far from the food bowl.

They are both males, 19 days old so they are little bity things. They are short haired. One is black and white, he is Uno. The other is black white and brown, he is Dos. Uno is a total sweetheart, he is doesn't run off when I tried to give him alittle pet. Dos on the other hand seems a little more skiddish. I'm sure he will warm up over time.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Oh my, they are little! Congrats on your new babies!
I'd give them a day to adjust before handling them, that might help.

mary84

Cavy Slave
They're cutties, congratulations!!!

They look a bit like my boys. It took them over a month to warm up to us...

cuponoodels

Cavy Slave
Such cuties! Are they brothers? They look very similar.

Pigs vary in personalities, some are more adventurous than others. But your guys are very young, so it's likely they're afraid of anything that moves! Just give them a few days before picking them up.

Let us in on an update soon!

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Aw... good luck on Uno and Dos!
(p.S. I <3 their names!! Too cute.. :))

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. They are brothers, we are trying our best to leave them be. I did pick them up once only to double check if they were indeed both boys. They burrowed down to the coroplast between the food bowl and the hay and havn't really left that spot. I also cut a hole in the side of the coroplast to move their water bottle down a bit. Where it was they would have to use each other as a stool! Do you think I should give them a leaf of romaine or a green pepper tonight or should I wait until tomorrow to start when they are alittle more settled in?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
You can offer the veggies now, best to get them eating the staples asap! They are such cutie pies!

Stef41

Cavy Slave
What handsome fellows! Welcome!

I rescued two of my girls when they had JUST passed weaning age, so I can relate to how skittish and withdrawn the babies can be. Give them time to adjust and they'll come around! Very good that you got two; they have each other for comfort while they get acclimated!

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
A quick update

Yesterday I put them in the lower part of the cage and they just hid in the tunnel the whole time. Today when I put them down there Uno started popcorning and running around like it was a race track. Dos caught on and also seemed to really enjoy the rest of the cage. I directed them up the ramp after awhile which they both went up no problem and then Dos actually went back down on his own! I'm really glad they are warming up to the ramp idea because I was thinking about redoing the cage without a loft, but now I think I will give it a few days.
They don't seem to be fans of the romaine, and on day one wanted nothing to do with the green peppers either. I gave them each a baby carrot hoping to warm them up to some sort of veggie. Then before bed they I gave them green pepper again and it was gone in the morning. I am so happy to see them adjusting so good. Giving the lettuce another go as we speak. Someone took a few bites of it but they don't seem to like it too much, hopefully it will catch on. They do love their hay though. They wheek so loud when I put a fresh handful in! So far we are really happy with them and glad we decided to take them in.:D

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
Awww it sounds like they are very happy in their new home. They are still so tiny, I'm sure they will slowly start eating the romaine and other veggies you offer. They just need some time. Their appetites will grow as they grow and before you know it they will eat all the veggies you offer in no time. Congratulations!!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Re: A quick update

Hello ! I have a 6x2 c&c cage with a 2x2 hay loft and both my girls Cuddles (The BOSS at 3 months) and Buttercup (2 1/2 months) love the ramp and their hay loft ! It is so much fun watching them do their "zoomies" up and down the ramp, and around their bottom level and up again !! I think it is great exercise for them too !

I use to have a small litter box filled with carefresh up in the hay loft, but they don't really use it much so I took it out. Now I just have their big piles of hay ( no hay rack) on one side and their alligator cozy ( they LOVE this alligator cozy, more than the other cozies I have) on the other side. :D

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hallo! I'm glad to read your lads are doing so well! Congratulations! It must be very heartwarming for you, looks like the veggie investigations are proving appetising already!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Your boys are adorable !!!

Sounds like they are adjusting really well and your slow introductions to one or two veggies at a time is great ! Have you had a chance to take a look at Ly's veggie chart and daily veggie schedule ? It is wonderful, and has helped me out a great deal !

chocolattkato

Cavy Slave
They are really cute! Congratulations!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to GPC.

I have a question for you. What is the size of your cage? It looks like it's only 1 grid wide per the photo. I am not sure if that is the loft or the main floor.

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to GPC.

I have a question for you. What is the size of your cage? It looks like it's only 1 grid wide per the photo. I am not sure if that is the loft or the main floor.

The photos show them in the kitchen loft, it's 1x2. They pretty much stayed in there the whole first day. Day 2 I introduced them to the downstairs which is 2x4. Today they are pros going up and down the ramp. If you want to see the entire cage it is in my profile gallery. I will most likely expand the cage once they get bigger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.