Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Not enough room for 2x6 cage!

llonka

Cavy Slave
Hello!!

I got my grids in today and put them out how I wanted them. Come to find out I don't have enough room for a 2x6. :( How could I make an L shape?

Then I wondered if 2x5 would be big enough for two piggies? I can fit five grids along the wall, but not six. Was hoping to get the grids put up before I brought my kids home.

Thanks for the help!

llonka

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I just looked in the photo galleries and saw a 2x6 L shaped cage. So I tried it. Nope, too big.

So my question is, would 2x4 be big enough?? I may have to just make my husband mad and move furniture around in there. OR! What about 3x4?? LOL!!!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
A 2x5 is more than adequate room for two piggies. The minimum for two is 2x3 and the preferred is a 2x4. You could use extra grids as bent grid hideys or hay racks.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
2x5 would be great for 2 pigs. I probably wouldn't go smaller if you have 2 boars.

llonka

Cavy Slave
2x5 would be great for 2 pigs. I probably wouldn't go smaller if you have 2 boars.

Thank you!! I was gonna tell you that your cage was the one I was looking at. *laughs*
I have two boars. Right now they are separated and one is in quarantine. (Just got him this weekend) I will try 2x5. I thought I'd build the cage and let the older one have the run of it first while the other is waiting for his three weeks to be up. Ha ha.

Thank you for your reply SFailed186! How would you bend the grids? They are heavier than I thought they would be!:melodrama

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! I was gonna tell you that your cage was the one I was looking at. *laughs*
I have two boars. Right now they are separated and one is in quarantine. (Just got him this weekend) I will try 2x5. I thought I'd build the cage and let the older one have the run of it first while the other is waiting for his three weeks to be up. Ha ha.

Thank you for your reply SFailed186! How would you bend the grids? They are heavier than I thought they would be!:melodrama

Personally, I'd hold off in putting the original guy in the cage first. When you introduce them, they have to be introduced in a neutral territory, so if none of your pigs have been in this new cage, you can introduce them there and not have to worry about finding a new space/grids/coro/etc.

When we bent our grids, we set them flat on the floor and then put our foot over about half of the grid. Gently and slowly pull up the other half towards your foot. Grids break easily and it might take a few tries, but this is the easiest way I have found to do it.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
There's a way to bend them so that they don't break (there's a right side and a wrong side). Let me see if I can find the instructions - can't remember which is which!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Here you go:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...bending-grids-making-sure-they-dont-snap.html

Once you've found that welding line and have it either at the top or the bottom of your grid (not on the sides that will be bent), put the grid flat on the floor and stand (wearing shoes) on the bottom edge of it. Then bend the top edge of it (slowly!!) up towards you, as far as you want it to curl. You will need some force, but it should bend perfectly without snapping.

llonka

Cavy Slave
We just got home from doing laundry. I started trying to put the grids together again. I moved the bed over and my husband started getting upset. So I got frustrated and put everything back. We just really don't have space here for anything. Right now we are living in a small two bedroom apartment. I wanted to put the new cage in our bedroom. That's about the only spot for it and I didn't realize how big they really are.

So I guess I'm asking how can I make a big enough cage for two boars in a small space??

Sirene

Cavy Slave
We just got home from doing laundry. I started trying to put the grids together again. I moved the bed over and my husband started getting upset. So I got frustrated and put everything back. We just really don't have space here for anything. Right now we are living in a small two bedroom apartment. I wanted to put the new cage in our bedroom. That's about the only spot for it and I didn't realize how big they really are.

So I guess I'm asking how can I make a big enough cage for two boars in a small space??

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Can you tell us exactly how much space you have available for the cage (in feet and/or inches)? That way we can calculate how big the cage can be.

llonka

Cavy Slave
Along the wall is about 5 and half feet. My husband started getting upset because it didn't want it way out in the middle of the room. :(

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Along the wall is about 5 and half feet. My husband started getting upset because it didn't want it way out in the middle of the room. :(

Ok, so you have enough room along the wall to do a 2x5 or 2x4. Both of these cages are 27 inches (just over 2 feet) wide, so that's how far they will "stick out" into the room. Would that work for your hubby?

llonka

Cavy Slave
Ok, so you have enough room along the wall to do a 2x5 or 2x4. Both of these cages are 27 inches (just over 2 feet) wide, so that's how far they will "stick out" into the room. Would that work for your hubby?
The two grids wide was fine, I tried five grids long and it didn't quite fit so that's why I was trying to move the bed and stuff. If I did 2x4.5 would that be ok for both boars?

Thank you for all your help! It means a lot to me!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
The two grids wide was fine, I tried five grids long and it didn't quite fit so that's why I was trying to move the bed and stuff. If I did 2x4.5 would that be ok for both boars?

Thank you for all your help! It means a lot to me!

I think it would be fine. 2x4 would probably also be fine. The more space you have, the better, but I had my 2 boys in a 2x4 for a few months until I expanded it, and it was fine.

llonka

Cavy Slave
Ok!! Thank you very much!! I will try again after I get it cleaned up in there. I'll let you know how it goes! ❤️

llonka

Cavy Slave
I got the grids together!! And now my coro is in! Yahoo!! So I have a question, how to cut the coro?? Ha ha!

I tried uploading a picture but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I'll try again.

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad that you are building your guys a C&C cage. It really DOES make a difference. They will be so much happier in that cage than in a store purchased cage. I have 2 young boars in a 2X4 C&C cage and haven't had a problem. There was one fighting incident but I think it was because the newer of the two wanted to be the alpha and the older of the two wasn't too happy about it, but it only lasted for about 1/2 an hour and there was no bloodshed just chassing, mounting and head bumping.

I used my kitchen scissors to cut the coroplast and then I used a sharp utility knife to score the coroplast where it needs to fold. I made sure to keep the blade on the utility knife short to keep from cutting thru it completely.:D Good luck and have fun!

llonka

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad that you are building your guys a C&C cage. It really DOES make a difference. They will be so much happier in that cage than in a store purchased cage. I have 2 young boars in a 2X4 C&C cage and haven't had a problem. There was one fighting incident but I think it was because the newer of the two wanted to be the alpha and the older of the two wasn't too happy about it, but it only lasted for about 1/2 an hour and there was no bloodshed just chassing, mounting and head bumping.

I used my kitchen scissors to cut the coroplast and then I used a sharp utility knife to score the coroplast where it needs to fold. I made sure to keep the blade on the utility knife short to keep from cutting thru it completely.:D Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! So far so good!! I think it's because my husband isn't here. Ha ha! Along as I keep my kids busy it's going how I want. Got the bottom pieces laid out, now to figure out how to make the end sides so the poop doesn't get kicked out. :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.