Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions HELP!, New Pig With Scabs

Hollie34

Cavy Slave
So I got a new guinea pig who is 18 months old, a short haired sow.

I adopted her from a trainee vet, so I thought I wouldn't have any problems. I have found two scabs on her back and she has really dry ears and little scabs inside there too.

Her eye also had a small bit of dried up stuff around it too, should i give the guinea pig back, as she said she would happily have her back, I cant afford large vet bill's, that's the reason why I got one from a vet, thinking I could trust her.

What shall I do now? :(

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yes. You should never get an animal until you have a good emergency fund saved up. Doesnt matter if you get it from anywhere because animals are who they are and everyone gets sick from time to time. Save every penny you can for vet bills. If you do choose to keep her you should read everything on www.guinealynx.info. It probably wont cost you much to treat her if she does hasve any issues and you should talk to the vet tech about what she was being treated for. The scabs might be the result of parasites and she has been treated but not fully healed.

MyLittlePiggy07

Cavy Slave
If I were you, I would contact the vet you got her from. Since the person is a vet, maybe he or she would be willing to work with you. It sounds like a parasite to me. If it is a parasite, it is not expensive to treat. Although, you shouldn't get an animal if you can't afford to bring it to a vet. Animals get sick and need doctor visits just like humans.

Hollie34

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I do have money, I always have plenty for vet bills and regular check ups, I think I was in totally shock before when I checked over the guinea pig.

I have contacted the woman back, and she has took the guinea pig back letting me know she knows somebody who has all the products it will need for her skin, like the "gorgeous guinea's" range. So I thought it would be best to let the guinea go to that home, rather than the poor things having to wait a week why I order shampoo's and lotions.

I think its just warning to make sure everyone checks over the pig no matter what !!

Thankfully i'll be getting a 6week old female to become friends with my female, so no doubt I will be posting for advice on perfect introductions soon.

Thanks again :)

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Lotions and shampoos won't help if she has parasites... She needs to be seen by a different vet and be checked and treated for parasites. May I ask why you chose not to buy her what she needed?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I do have money, I always have plenty for vet bills and regular check ups, I think I was in totally shock before when I checked over the guinea pig.

I have contacted the woman back, and she has took the guinea pig back letting me know she knows somebody who has all the products it will need for her skin, like the "gorgeous guinea's" range. So I thought it would be best to let the guinea go to that home, rather than the poor things having to wait a week why I order shampoo's and lotions.

I think its just warning to make sure everyone checks over the pig no matter what !!

Thankfully i'll be getting a 6week old female to become friends with my female, so no doubt I will be posting for advice on perfect introductions soon.

Thanks again :)
Oh wow. Please don't get new guinea pigs when you can't even afford to care for the one you had. ANYTHING could happen, and what will you do if some thing goes wrong with this one's health?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It sounds like she needed some ivermectin for mites, and possibly some antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Doesn't sound like this trainee vet knows much about exotics. Maybe you can refer her to www.guinealynx.info .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.